Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 380 SL,
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys~

I am new here to your forum, was just out paging around looking for some info on the car I'm working on.

I have a 1983 SL I've owned since '97, and finally decided to hit it and get it nice for once. I put on a new top I ordered a year ago, finally got up the guts to do it myself. Looks awesome. I removed the dashboard last fall to try fixing a crack, and finally gave up that whole idea, and I have a good used dash coming next week. I will be removing the windshield to put in the new dash, and have new glass coming in two weeks. But I have some questions maybe someone has some knowledge of:

Should I remove the heater and AC housing and have the cores tested? What I am wondering, is there any troubles with the evaporators leaking? Anything else I should look at while im in there? Replace the hoses? I do have a AC leak but was pretty sure I needed a new compressor and thats what was leaking. I would be replacing the reciever dryer, and was thinking the expansion valve, but I sure dont want to put that dash back in and have trouble later. Any thoughts?

My last thoughts regard the engine. Does anyone know what a 380 has for compression ratio, and, between a 500 and a 560, which cam is hotter, and what the lift and duration are on a 380? I have been around this a while, I know the 560 motor swap, and I know the 380 motor is crap, but still, I would like to play with it some before giving up on it and see if I can just make it go better. Specifically, the 380 fall on its face around 4500, and the trans is programmed to shift at 4000, so I am assuming it has wimpy lift and duration and advanced valve timing. The 500 and 560 are just starting to really go at that speed, so something is making the 380 fall on its face. I also have access to a 560 intake injection manifold and would like to compare them. If someone has already done this, it would be nice to know if the 560 is different in regards to higher air flow.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
83 380 SL,
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it has the dual row chain. I checked with some online places and they show an evaporator for about $200 at the Benzbin. Anyone have any knowledge of aftermarket parts quality?
I can also get a set of cams from a 500 very reasonable. Anyone have lift, duration and valve timing figures for these engines?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts