Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the post by Dan and was wondering if it was true, that the newer models don't have the same build quality as older ones, does anyone if this is true with the new SL as well?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My Silver Arrow is an absolute beauty. My 2nd SL, and no deterioration. <br> <br> However, my '01 E 55's interior quality is really inferior to my prior '98 E 420 sport. The difference is dramatic.<br> <br> I have told my dealer that I expect a much higher standard in my ordered SL 55.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For Barry... (more...)

Barry, I have some information that would interest you regarding the SL55... Email me [email protected]<br> <br> The SL55 will have Nappa Leather as an option..<br> I placed my deposit a few weeks ago, and am now awaiting the 3 year itch...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Personal experience (CLK*2, SL*2, ML, SLK)

Previous MB's<br> 1995 SL320<br> 1997 SLK<br> 1998 CLK320<br> Current<br> 1997 SL500<br> 2000 ML430<br> 2000 CLK55<br> <br> The two SL's build qualities are identical - absolutely marvelous.<br> The SLK was OK, but was obviously built to a lower standard, but thats not suprising given the different price :)<br> <br> The 2000 ML430 is shocking, it creaks , rattles etc. I have a 2002 ML500 on order, Im assured that will be better.<br> <br> The CLK55 is good, not as good as the SL though.<br> CLK55 quality seems the same as the CLK320 (which is pleasing considering the CLK55 suspension is much harder and you'd expect more rattles as a result).<br> <br> <br> The key to ensuring less rattles is if the workshop ever has to remove an internal panel, they have to put new clips on the panels before they put it back in (door trim, shelves, plastic etc)<br> <br> R<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Personal experience 2001>>> SL500 Window Squeaks

I had the new car back at the dealer 3 times to eliminate squeaks while raising and lowering both windows with the hardtop on.<br> <br> After the squeaks disappeared, the MB sub contractor applied a window tint, since I live in South Florida.<br> <br> THE SQUEAKS CAME BACK! Tint sub removed 2 mill tint and squeaks disappeared. He said the silicone fix is temporary, - the squeaks will reappear.<br> <br> What's up with this crap on a new $85,000.- car?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Barry, you could have had a '98 E430 Sport but not a '98 E420 Sport. The E420 was last built in '97. Also, what do you expect your dealer to do about build quality or materials? Do you think he is going to Germany and monitor what MB is doing to your car? Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts