Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 year old threw the key to my SL 1997 off second floor balcony. Nearest mercedes dealer is 2 hours drive one way and they won't allow me to mail the key despite their records of me being owner and home address. Any suggestions for replacement key saving a day going to the dealers? TY

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Welcome to the forum, topdown2.

The only place to get one is the dealer and they have a laundry list of procedures they must follow regarding keys. I assume you have a spare? Drive with it, keep it away from the child and go by the dealer on the next trip to the city.

Please take a moment to click the User CP and complete your BW profile re: vehicle and location as that is often useful information.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
piston rag top

Thank you. Got any advice for bad rag top piston hear replacement it is quite a job?

Welcome to the forum, topdown2.

The only place to get one is the dealer and they have a laundry list of procedures they must follow regarding keys. I assume you have a spare? Drive with it, keep it away from the child and go by the dealer on the next trip to the city.

Please take a moment to click the User CP and complete your BW profile re: vehicle and location as that is often useful information.

Greg

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Go down and pick up the key. It should still work, assuming it didn't hit concrete or water.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
It did fall apart was able 2 put it together but will only open/unlock car will not start the car.
You must be mistaken. Didn't you know that Mr. x is always right? ;)

I think the little chip in the nose of it was probably damaged by the shock. Can't hurt to try re-synching it, but I think you're on your way to a new key.

Re: your other inquiry, I've not had the displeasure of working on the hydraulics for the topless setup, although I'd imagine it's quite enjoyable. :rolleyes:

Greg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
re-synching

Great suggestion do u do that from one key 2 another like a tv remote or what is the procedure? Thank you.

I think the little chip in the nose of it was probably damaged by the shock. Can't hurt to try re-synching it, but I think you're on your way to a new key.

Re: your other inquiry, I've not had the displeasure of working on the hydraulics for the topless setup, although I'd imagine it's quite enjoyable. :rolleyes:

Greg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Key and rag top hydraulic cylinders update

Greg
Update on key. Did have to go through dealer to replace key. Despite history there from previous repairs the documentation required makes getting a passport for travel a breeze. Proof of vin of car, etc., and then was required to bring the car there, despite already having the car history in my name. Used the valet key for that. Just went through a local repair shop that could vouch for me and after about a week of various documentation and USD200 later, on my way. Since then (03/2009) this month, (03/2012), was able to get an exact duplicate of the case, including MB logo with spring key without laser cut on ebay for USD9.00 shipped. Took the inside circuit board of the damaged key and substituted the laser cut metal key and with the help of a bio med repair tech got it together. Feels and looks better than the dealer replacement.

The convertible top seals for the hydraulic cylinders are available in a kit for about USD20 and includes seals for all 12 cylinders and the rubber used is reported to be much better material than original used in 1997. This was mentioned in these forums the "original seals were made of a biodegradable rubber". The seals above the sun visors seem to go first but it was the main rear seals on mine, due to lack of use presumably, that went first. Then a month later, presumably again, the increased pressure from the new seals caused the other seals to leak. All fixed, including labor, for the cost of one cylinder at the dealer.

Also, bought a 129 service manual on disk (USD300) that would not work and nonrefundable so am looking for a paper factory service manual or disk that would apply to a 1997 129 (SL500) that works on later windows operating systems or latest Apple operating systems.

Just acquired a 1987 SDL as a project car and looking for a factory service manual on disk that would work on newer operating systems but prefer paper issued factory service manual. Apple or Windows. Will post this item in the correct forum also. Thanks for all of the support and really enjoy the vast experience and knowledge available on this forum. Sure to be conversing again soon.

Back to 1997 129. Last week, let the car sit for 3 weeks, and the battery was too weak to start the car. Once got started both roll bar and convertible top switch stays red and will not operate. Told it needs to be synced. Any suggestions without another trip to the repair shop would be greatly appreciated as now getting into doing the work myself. Enjoying the therapy, so to speak, and is fast becoming my favorite hobby. Just ordered my own computer analyzer should be here this week. Have limited time so original factory manual or better manual if known would be especially appreciated.

Best Regards, Fred.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.