Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today when I was driving home in a snowstorm in my 1989 300SL, I realized what a great car this is! For three years it has been our “second� family-car, used almost every day. During these three years, the car has kept its value, and it has had no repairs other than one regular service plus one additional oil change. How many cars can beat that?

Anyone else use their SLs in the snow? With the hardtop, good winter tires and two heavy boxes full of old car-magazines in the trunk (for more weight on the rear wheels) I find this car totally fit for everyday winter driving.

·
Registered
560SL
28 Posts
SL is terrible

I drive a 560SL in Boston, and I have not bought winter tires yet so my experience with the snow is terrible. Simply put, the SL has too much torque for winter driving. This is not helped in any way by the fact that it has no LSD. With one tire spinning at all times, the the RWD bias almost always causes under steer. Terrible snow car, althoug I look forward to winter tires sometime in the future.

·
Premium Member
2008 E 320 Bluetec (ELEGANCE) 2005 CLK500 (avant-garde)
1,928 Posts
YOU"VE GOT TO BE KIDDING!
[:0]I'd walk before I'd use my SL in the snow. It doesn't even ...

YOU"VE GOT TO BE KIDDING!
[:0]I'd walk before I'd use my SL in the snow. It doesn't even see rain! If you want to do in the snow....get a 350SDL...they're unstoppable!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts