Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 88 560SL is finally showing those "normal" cracks. Looking for info on:
1. Where I can obtain a new dashboard
2. Anyone have experience with dashboard covers. Since my SL is in pristine original condition I don't want to use something that would spoil its looks
3. Also I have heard of "crack fillers" being offered by some specialty shops, any experience or info on who to contact

Thanks

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
Is it blue? Blue is notorious for cracking the worst.

www.adsitco.com has them (be aware that they have been reported on another board to be a little flaky on pricing). It's very expensive, into 4 figures. And it is supposed to be an absolute nightmare to remove/install. One thing I do wonder about - how long have these been sitting in a storeroom? Even in the dark and room temps plastic does outgas and deteriorate over time. You may be buying somewhat less than 15-20 years.

A lot of people have been very satisfied with the dash caps (not those crappy "covers", but actual plastic skins that go over the bad dash). Not completely easy to install (but a LOT easier than the above), they can be dyed or some actually come pre-dyed. They are ALMOST undetectable from what I've seen except some people complain that don't feel the same. For $100 or so and a few hours of time this seems like a minor point. Beware: the instructions call for double-side taping to the dash. Some have wanted something more durable and used adhesive like trim cement. Because of the difference in coefficient of expansion of plastic, this caused warping and buckling.

I used some vinyl crack repair in a kit I bought over the Internet for $30-40 or so to patch my seats and I patched an extremely tiny crack in my dash with it, results undetectable. It came with a tiny soldering-iron like tool, some wax paper "graining" material, and some patching material. If you are very handy (almost artistic talents are required), this might be worth a shot, you have only $30-40 to lose. I suspect that after you do it you will have to dye the dash to match if your dash is blue. Bonus: it performed a suprisingly durable repair on an actual hole on the high-wear bolster of my seat. This is handy stuff to have around.

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
Dash cap is the way to go. Dash board cracks are so common in MBs that they all pretty much are sporting dash caps anyway, so it doesn't really deflect from the value of the car. They look good too.

·
Registered
1979 450 slc
17 Posts
I would like to see a photo of a cap that looks good.. only ones I have seen looked obviously fake

·
Registered
8 Posts
my black dash still looks great in my 80 450SL. Amazing that after 25 years there are no cracks. Bought some 303 just to keep it that way too.........

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
strife2

Thanks for the input. Confirms my thoughts. Since my dash is black, the cracks are very small and I found a place that provides the same color "patch kit" I will try that approach. Company is Color-Plus in Milford, PA.

Thanks, again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts