Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I own a 2003 SL 350 (350 not available in the US). I have a problem with the Bose Soundsystem. The volume is peridically beieng changed in small steps (while driving or standing still). The speed dependent volume control is turned off so that should not be the problem. I have taken it to the dealership but they cannot find anything wrong. Anyone experienced anything similar? Suggestions?

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
The problem is the Bose Audio Pilot. On C class cars the Audio Pilot uses a tiny microphone hidden behind the headliner to measure ambient noise levels and adjust the volume and bass/treble levels. The mic can be disconnected. I don't know where the mic would be located in an SL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the volume-level changes just as frequently if your standing still with the engine off and not making any noise. And as mentioned the speed dependent volume control is turned off so I would asume that turns off the micropone you are referring to. But it's an tricky issue. And MB want do much about it since they cannot locate the problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 2005 ML500with similar problems. Radio,amp and audiopilot microphone have been changed. It wassuggested that disconnecting the microphone solves the problem but I've diconnected the audiopilot microphone with no success. I just returned from a 5 week trip and found the battery dead. Charged the battery and with a fully charged battery the audio problem disappeared. I am wondering if voltage changes are impacting the system. Haven't got my recall notice for the V8 electrical system charging problem yet, but the dealer is sending roadside service to change the battery because it went dead. I am going to keep track of the charge level of the new battery and see if there is any correlation.

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts
A marginal battery can cause random errors to get into the program running on the computer that controls the audio functions because of the extreme voltage fluctuations when starting the engine. A dead battery causes all of the computers to do a cold start and many reset and then reload default settings when the correct voltage is reapplied.

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
The speed sensitive volume control and the Bose Audio Pilot are not the same thing. The speed sensitive volume control can be turned off with the diagnostic computer. The Bose Audio Pilot can only be disabled by disconnecting the microphone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi! Thanks for your feedback.
Well I'm starting to belive it might be something with the battery/ electrisity. For instance if I press the start button twice (keyless go) without starting the engine, (all instrument warning lamps are then lid as well as the fan starting) the volume changes instantly a level or two. So I guess my best bet is to check the voltage and perhaps reload the battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts