Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 silver/black SL 65 AMG
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been speaking with the Vredestein tire manufacturer in Holland to obtain access to the Space Master spare tire for the 2005-2011 SL 65 AMG.

The size is 175-50-19, and MBenz part number 230-400-1702.

NOTE: There is an 18 inch Space Master for the SL 55 available through dealer and parts.com.....part number 211-400-3195, but it doesn't work on 65 due to larger brakes. It is available for 55 owners if they need a spare through the dealer.

The 65 part is available in Europe for this car through Vredestein but not in the US, through their NJ headquarters warehouse. The Space Master is not sold in the US by their US branch and only can be obtained from the MB dealer according to them, which......see below....

Mercedes dealers have the part number in their parts catalogue, but it is unavailable with no units in the US....or special ordering available...

Mercedes USA will not order the item per their headquarters technical and customer service. Amazing since they still make the car for the 2011 year and the application works.

I was advised that Vredestein may make a special shipment depending on the interest.........so if any SL 65 AMG owners would like a space saver spare for an approximate price of $ 700.00, please advise.

Another option is to take firm orders to MBUSA or AMG and have them restock the part in the US and have it available through the US dealer network.

Another option is to call you local dealer and place an order for the part number and see if numbers alert them to supply this to the US. Explain to dealer that you would like to place an order without deposit to see if it is acknowledged without a backorder comment.

Thanks for response in advance as I continue on this odyssey to obtain a spare for my 65 for my longer trips........... Tire fit or fix a flat is a bad solution since it destroys the alloy rim and pressure monitoring system creating replacement costs for those items, plus the tire cost as they can't be salvaged even for a small puncture......the can also has a limited shelf life in your trunk at a cost of $ 153 to replace...

·
Registered
930 Posts
The SL55 spare is about $950 from the dealer, I think the 65 is about $100/$150 more.

The spare that is sold for the SL55 is the same and only wheel/tire spare sold for the SLAMG, But for the SL65 with the 2pc brake rotors, it is a different hub size and shape. SO when you buy the SL65 spare it has a 1 1/2 " spacer attached. It is shaped to fit the front and rear. SO you are buying the same wheel/tire but it just has a big spacer bolted on.
If you buy a used (If you can find one) SL55 spare you can make it work on a 65 if you have a hub centric spacer made. It will still be cheaper than buying from the dealer. if you buy the SL65 spare you can take the spacer off and use it on a 55.
The Vre tire is not sold anywhere. So you always have to buy a new one from the dealer.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
info

I can buy the part from a Mercedes dealer in Germany at 490 euro plus shipping......you would think MBUSA would have the darn part instead of the run around on such a high end car.......the result may be us wanting to buy other brands.......

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Prices SL 65 AMG Space Master Spare tire

$ 986.000 plus shipping from Miami to NC after Germany
$ 530 plus shipping from California to NC after Belgium
$ 900 plus shipping from Germany

Still would have been easier to pick it up from dealer for $ 700.00 minus Mercedes Club discount or $ 630.00 if they still stocked the part.:surrender:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Mission accomplished

Bought spare tire from parts house in Europe......great service from Steve and Wanda at BenzNL......they are on the web.......they can find hard to find parts!! Nice people....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts