Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
SL 65 AMG
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all at benzworld

I have recently purchased a Sl 65 AMG which has full options and is delimited.
I have been driving the vehicle for about 5 weeks and find it frustrating that the power overwhelmes the tyres. I would like to vastly improve the grip and then would like to increase 700 torque to the actual torque available that is more nearer to 1000.
Any other suggetions to improve the performance, grip, suspension etc will be apreciated.

P.s I am a new user so it will take me time to get used to th Lingo.

I am a new user

·
Registered
2006 Vanquish S
400 Posts
toproadster - 5/3/2005 4:22 PM

Hi to all at benzworld

I have been driving the vehicle for about 5 weeks and find it frustrating that the power overwhelmes the tyres. I would like to vastly improve the grip and then would like to increase 700 torque to the actual torque available that is more nearer to 1000.
Any other suggetions to improve the performance, grip, suspension etc will be apreciated.

I am a new user
I'd say based upon what you want to do with your car, you bought the wrong car.

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
LovinSL600 - 5/3/2005 8:04 PM

toproadster - 5/3/2005 4:22 PM

Hi to all at benzworld

I am a new user
I'd say based upon what you want to do with your car, you bought the wrong car.

I agree with Lovin. If you really wanted massive erformance, intoxicating speed along with superior grip and have the $180,000+ for the SL 65, I think you might have been better off with a Lamborghini Gallardo, Porsche 911 Turbo, Ferrari 360 (or F430). Those all offer what you want. I really think at the end of the day, there will never be a Mercedes Benz that has what you want as their MAIN selling point. You gotta remember that Mercedes is first and foremost a LUXURY car. Even the SLR which although is exotic, is as comfortable as an S500. Anyone agree?

·
Registered
2005 RENNtech SL600
195 Posts
Luxury, supercar!! That is what you have and definitely in that order. Now as the owner of a RENNtech SL600 with 650HP and 790LBS of torque, allow me to give you some pointers on keeping the tires from breaking loose. First, always keep the traction control on and the car fully lowered to the ground. Next, always start half throttle until turbos kick in (aprox 1800RPM) Then, floor it about 90% of the way until the torque is fully maxed and then squeeze the pedal the rest of the way to the floor. This sould all happen in about 3 seconds and it will take some practice. But the reward is nothing less than the most astonishing burn free take-offs you could ever immagine acheiving without racing slicks under controlled conditions. Let's face it, there is more to driving "any" high preformance vehicle at peek preformance levels than just pushing the pedal down and holding on. All high preformance cars need to be studied and learned to get the most out of them. Practice, practice, practice, with the transmission and engine and learn to listen to the vehicle so that you are part of the machinery. It doesn't matter if you own a Ferrari, Porche, Aston Martin, whatever...they "all" require some higher level of understanding to operate at their best.

·
Registered
A200 Turbo-C230K-S320 CDI-SL55-C63AMG
346 Posts
I agree totally... that car can't handle that crazy engine. When the car was designed, it wasn't considered that such a powerful engine would be used.

This is what Mercedes are looking at right now for the new SL.

·
Registered
2001 Porsche 911
14 Posts
You can upgrade your rims & go up to 315's in the back. That would help with traction a bit. If you want to get crazy, the new RUF Porsche coming out has 20" rims with 345's in the back. But given the amount of tq. your car has, no tire will be able to give you much traction. Next, if you want to upgrade for more power you should get the Renntech ECU upgrade +50hp/+100 lb.-ft. tq.

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
toproadster - 5/3/2005 6:22 PM

Hi to all at benzworld

I am a new user
I read in Road and Track that the engine is too powerful for the frame and suspension. You can get racing tires, but they will suck as an everyday tire. The SL65 is great for driving in a straight line.

·
Registered
2005 SL65, 2005 G55
45 Posts
toproadster, I have the SL65 and have excellent traction with the tires starting from zero with the pedal to the floor. But I do like to get a little momentum before I press the pedal all the way down. It is a twelve cylinder and the tourqe really kicks in when I have a little momentum. I barely lose any traction because the electronic stability control kicks in to gain more traction thus it doesn't waste wheel spin and lose effort on acceleration until it has grip.But this actually improves the acceration.

Even though it does have a little wheel spin, the wheel spin is a bit fun. I actually like the feel of the power exceeding the grip a little probably because the car still maintains control of the surface very well and I like the power to be a bit overwhelming. Mind you, not out of control though!

I have read about a few poeple in the forums as well who have taking their 65 to an aftermarket tuner that reprograms the chip for more power and torque (Renntech, Kleeman, Brabbus), lowers the car a bit and retuned the traction control to handle the additional power.

I would do this myself but I dont want to risk losing my warranty with Mercedes. My experience with some of the Mercedes cars when outside of warranty is that the repair and parts are incredibly inflated, so I prefer to have my warranty intact.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2005 SL65, 2005 G55
45 Posts
toproadster,

have you read the April issue of Automobile magazine. It's a great article about a young guy who takes his 2005 SL65 out for Friday Night Drag Racing in Orlando. Read it, as it's very funny and entertaining but tells you a bit more about the car.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/convertibles/0504_mercedes_benz_sl65_amg/index.html

"I find I've turned an 11.85 second Quarter Mile at 118 MPH-with the A/C on and the seat gently massaging my back"

Automobile Magazine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts