Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1996 SL 600
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for info. On a water pump replacement for a 1996 SL600. I’ve rebuilt and restored many cars but this is kicking my ass. I’ve dumped a few thousand into it over the last few months, and the other day I started it in the garage and red liquid/coolant was leaking on the floor. Looking for a step by step or even better a video. Also do I need any special tools, etc. I was quoted over $1500 to have a shop do it. I’m located in Cape Coral FL.

·
Registered
1994 SL500 1998 SL600
170 Posts
By looking at the pump itself it seems that a lot of stuff need to come out from the front of the engine. The good news is that it costs less than $100 on Ebay. The only "special" that you may need is for the removal of the cooling fan.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just did it in my car earlier in the week. It’s not too bad but you need to remove the radiator which is super easy. Don’t do anything with the fan until you get the radiator out, once it’s out there should be a 8mm allen head bolt in the center of the fan. You will also need to remove the thermostat housing and the cross pipe the thrmo housing bolts to. You may want to put new o-rings in the cross pipe because when I put mine back together one of the o rings started leaking. Keep order of the bolts for the water pump because they are different lengths
Hope this helps

·
Registered
1994 SL500 1998 SL600
170 Posts
I just did it in my car earlier in the week. It’s not too bad but you need to remove the radiator which is super easy. Don’t do anything with the fan until you get the radiator out, once it’s out there should be a 8mm allen head bolt in the center of the fan. You will also need to remove the thermostat housing and the cross pipe the thrmo housing bolts to. You may want to put new o-rings in the cross pipe because when I put mine back together one of the o rings started leaking. Keep order of the bolts for the water pump because they are different lengths
Hope this helps
Do you have any recommendations on how easy it is to remove the radiator? I have to replace my a/c evap next week and I remember it was painful without removing the radiator...

·
Registered
27 Posts
You must be talking about the condenser because the evaporator is inside the dash. All you need to do is pull the fan shroud and then you need to undo two 10mm bolts on the front top of the radiator for the condenser fans. Remove upper and lower rad hoses and transmission lines (banjo bolts for transmission lines should be 17 or 19) There should also be a support for one of the trans lines on the bottom or the rad you need to undo. Now you only have 2 little clip things on the upper left and right corner of the radiator remove those and pull it straight out.

·
Registered
1994 SL500 1998 SL600
170 Posts
You must be talking about the condenser because the evaporator is inside the dash. All you need to do is pull the fan shroud and then you need to undo two 10mm bolts on the front top of the radiator for the condenser fans. Remove upper and lower rad hoses and transmission lines (banjo bolts for transmission lines should be 17 or 19) There should also be a support for one of the trans lines on the bottom or the rad you need to undo. Now you only have 2 little clip things on the upper left and right corner of the radiator remove those and pull it straight out.
Yes, the condenser. I’m scared by messing around with the fluids. That’s why last time I had a ninja approach to remove it!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ha. You’ll be fine no need to use the overpriced mercedes coolant just get some extended life. You may want to head to the dealership for a quart of transmission fluid though. Just make sure you’re running the heater when you bleed the air out of the cooling system.

·
Registered
1994 SL500 1998 SL600
170 Posts
Ha. You’ll be fine no need to use the overpriced mercedes coolant just get some extended life. You may want to head to the dealership for a quart of transmission fluid though. Just make sure you’re running the heater when you bleed the air out of the cooling system.
Now I have an amber colored coolant that I will likely completely replace when I do the job next week, can you point me to any brand and type that I can get off the shelf?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1994 SL500 1998 SL600
170 Posts
After some research I decided to go with Zerex G-05. It's probably the one I already have and will not require a complete flush to be replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts