Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
aloha,
I just bought 95 sl600 last week.150,000 miles. I new it needed the MAF harness replaced as diagnosed by a shop. I replaced both Harness and MAF sensors. Disconected battery and let stand 10 mins. Then restarted car.

Car starts up right away. Stops running after 5-10 seconds.No check engine light. Has almost no throttle response. If I do get it to respond and hold throttle to about 2500 RPM the car stumbles, like it is fighting for air and smells rich as well as dark exhaust appears from drivers side exhuast.:surrender:plugs were black.
I tried to read the codes from the little button LED flasher but I cannot get the car to stay running long enough to read them.

Any thoughts??http://www.benzworld.org/forums/images/smilies/surrender.gif

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sl600 stalls

Aloha,
No the fuel injection wires were not replaced.
But I do believe you are on the right track! I am pretty sure the electronic fuel injector module is bad, so I am going to replace it. Any other thoughts?

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,642 Posts
Aloha Hulla Hulla ,lol.
Just to make your Life a bit more easier,is yours a W140 CL S600 or the pretty SL 600 R129 ?
This is the Section where there a the big ugly Tanks ,you dont like them ,check below for your Class just in Case .
R129 SL Class - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum
Ciao and Aloha'ey :thumbsup:

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
dont rev the engine from under the bonnet.. you will screw things up big time.. disconnect the maffs both of them.. and try and see if you can get tickover.. only rev with the accel pedal...exhaust is not seperate joins in middle unless you have non standard.. look underneath at cats.. if discoloured you may have a faiure.. but I think more like an air leak in the EGR system or the MAP system.. CAUTION>>If you mess with the wrong bits for the wrong reason the 12 will bite you in the wallet.. HARD..So tell where you are and there might be a friend closer than in the UK like me..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sl600 stalls

aloha everyone,

I am in Hawaii. Merc s500- I have the R129 car. black on grey. I also have a 1990 300ce coupe and a 1985 190D.

Merc 600sec what do you mean by TICKOVER?and what am I looking for when this happens?

Who rebuilds the fuel injection control modules.??

I believe mine is shorted out due to the failure of the harness as was diagnosed by a mercedes tech .

mahalo for everyones help.
ps there is a guy in Calif. with 5 parts cars if you need anything. and he is very inexpensive...cheap!

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Aloha,
No the fuel injection wires were not replaced.
But I do believe you are on the right track! I am pretty sure the electronic fuel injector module is bad, so I am going to replace it. Any other thoughts?
If the harness to the air mass meters was bad, then the harness to the fuel injectors is most certainly bad (if it has not been replaced already). Make sure the fuel injection harness is not degraded as well before worrying about the control modules.

Brett

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Tickover should be at 5-700rpm when warm.. The injector modul is very robust and not prone to failure .. however fuses are..check your fuses.. and the ones on the coffin box...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts