Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking of buying a 03 sl500 or 04, heard that the 04 is a better car,
does it have a 7spd and the 03 have a 6spd ???
any news on which is better and why would be appreciated
cheers

·
Registered
241 Posts
'03 was the first year of the current body style. They had a lot more bugs than the '04's. The '03's have a 5 speed tranny and the '04 and up had the 7 speed with the exception of the AMG's.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
I would say neither is better. Drive both and see if the difference in the transmissions makes a difference to you.
I go along with this advice and find the 5 speed 722.6 box fine,, re the build is there any difference,,I do not think so, some internal changes but nothing to affect the driving

·
Registered
33 Posts
I owned and 03 and had nothing but headaches, it was fine till about 30,000 miles, after that, I'd say the car spent one week per month at the dealer (on average). Most of my problems were with the ABC system (I had other problems but none recurred as bad as the ABC). The car had other issues that were mostly irritating rather than saftey or reliability related. As to the tranny, it really depends on your driving style, I currently own an 07 S class with the 7 speed tranny and I personally think it SUCKS but yet again that is my opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts