Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran across this in some of my digital files... Color emphasis is not mine, and I forget the source. Interesting table. Any question of its voracity?

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
hm. why is the top speed only around 140 mph with these cars? i though they have power. why having V8 and about 230 ps if the speed is only 140 mph... does not make sense.
I never tried to drive more, but maybe i should do :)
but a shame that they are so slow.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
250 PS or HP from non-US 450 engine... far fetched.

I think I saw somewhere that non castrated M117/450 can output 225HP

I always wander "what if..." 560 was 350 camshafted and de-emissioned so to speak.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ran across this in some of my digital files... Color emphasis is not mine, and I forget the source. Interesting table. Any question of its voracity?
Hi Ears,

I am very interesting in 500SL-European Data, especially fast 0-60 mph.
There is no Data of 500SLC-European (my car).

Then I'd like to check my car out and like to write them down with MSD.

---------------------------------------------

In Japan, large-ears-having-persons are some kind of God ?, said.
who invite a lot of Good luck fortunes.

Thank you.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
250 PS or HP from non-US 450 engine... far fetched.

I think I saw somewhere that non castrated M117/450 can output 225HP

I always wander "what if..." 560 was 350 camshafted and de-emissioned so to speak.
My '72 has supposedly 230 HP (or did during the Nixon Administration) while my Jeep V8 has 250 and my 107 "feels" more powerful, and "seems" quicker, it probably is 0-40, after that the tranny ....isn't efficient

anyhow, offtopic, but your post made me think of that, I like the fact my 72 is a decent runner up to the 500 in all categories...well...except for 0-60 and top speed....

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,599 Posts
My '72 has supposedly 230 HP (or did during the Nixon Administration) while my Jeep V8 has 250 and my 107 "feels" more powerful, and "seems" quicker, it probably is 0-40, after that the tranny ....isn't efficient

anyhow, offtopic, but your post made me think of that, I like the fact my 72 is a decent runner up to the 500 in all categories...well...except for 0-60 and top speed....
What the U.S. President during the time has to do with it I have no clue.

I do know that the method of calculating HP rating on U.S. vehicles was changed sometime in the late 60's early 70's. Don't remember if it was engine HP to BHP or what.

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
hm. why is the top speed only around 140 mph with these cars? i though they have power. why having V8 and about 230 ps if the speed is only 140 mph... does not make sense.
I never tried to drive more, but maybe i should do :)
but a shame that they are so slow.
What makes you feel they are slow? Considering the Ferrari 308 had 225 HP, a 5th gear over drive and about 1000 LB less was significantly more aerodynamic and whent a whopping 10MPH faster, I believe the 107 to be very good.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I'd like to know what mechanical differences there were between the Euro 450 and USA 450--other than gear ratio and emissions control. I removed the Cat on the 450 and the car is smoother now--engine feels smoother. I like the sound of it--no resonator, as yet. Did the Euro version have a resonator? I keep wondering what a set of cams with more aggressive lobes would do to it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
What makes you feel they are slow? Considering the Ferrari 308 had 225 HP, a 5th gear over drive and about 1000 LB less was significantly more aerodynamic and whent a whopping 10MPH faster, I believe the 107 to be very good.
Hmm, the 944 turbo from the same period as the 560 would have smoked it and it was only a 4 cylinder engine--very, very big 4 cylinder, but a 4. However, it had a different purpose and weighed about half as much.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,105 Posts
I might get to 127 mph downhill with a tailwind.

On ice.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I found NEW facts ??

Hi everybody,

I found the new 'English-written' Data tables 5L SL/SLCs in Germany Below.
I felt in my Club nothing so much big difference of starting dashes between 500SL/SLC.
So I thought something is misunderstood by many people then.

SL:
Google Übersetzer
SLC:
Google Übersetzer

Also Japan's MB Club 107's DATA BASE is below URL:
W107 DATA BASE

-----------------------------------------

And I found apparelently mistake-like descriptions, 'SL:' and 'SLC:' 2 sites above.

1, It is strange enough for me, SLCs were finished to be produced in 1981, but on the table there are still Datas, described 500SLC after 1981.
2, 450SLC-5.0s were only 3-stage automatic-transformer. But no mention about 4-stages them about of 500SLCs.

Those made me to feel much strange things.

As for the table 0-100Km/h(= 0-60miles/h), 500SLCs-9.3sec, is too slower than 500SLs(7.9sec.),
having the same engines of M117(4973cc=304cubic-inches) the same for 2 models I think ,not so much difference of performance.
So I think 500SLCs-9.3sec might be a misprinted of 9.3 --> 8.3 correct, so that all questions are solved I think.

500SL and 500SLC are sisters or twins. Its natural to be resemble each other.

If I would have misunderstandings, please teach me my all slips of my thinking.

Thank you.
Ken.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Thank you kenmyu :thumbsup:

Right now I have the original rims on it (silver color - 15 holes) as the streets here have deteriorated over the rainy season. Hope that in a few weeks the roads will be fixed and the "pentas" will be back on !!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hi again Renato,

Rainy season GO AWAY !, And come back Comfortable season SO soon after I hope !
And clean up perfect your car! Hope yor pentas again, going along best with your car !

How is it going against much humidity ? Runs well ?

Just call me Ken.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Hehehe... Yes sunny days ahead. Went TDWD to work today :D

No prolems with humidity this year. I do take it out at least 1 time every 2 weeks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts