Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
300E modded, ML500
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , I want to talk all of your forumers for your help. as you know I am looking at a 2000 ML 430 near by that is for sale , however there is one problem

Whenever you go over a large bump or something the sky view rattles ,

my question is

is it supposed to rattle and furthermore , what can be done about it to make it quiet !!

thanks a bunch if there is a solution to this problem I might buy it . If there isn't I might not

Thanks an bunch !

·
Registered
99' ML430, 95' E300D
296 Posts
All Skyviews rattle over bumps, this is the only time you will notice it. The other thing you will notice is when raining it is somewhat noisy because of panels being hollow aluminum.

Basically the answer to you question on how to get it to stop rattling is to buy a ML without this option, this is the price your going to have to pay to have such a cool option and beleive me it's worth the noise. You will enjoy the skyview (even with the noise), I wouldn't own the car without this option...

best of luck on your purchase!

ccorley

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
All Skyviews are problems. They also break and are very expensive to repair. Skyview equipped ML's sell for less than the std roofed ones. At dealer auctions they also go for less. Skyview was discontinued with a weak excuse about side airbag curtains being in the way. Not so, they were just a huge problem

·
Registered
99' ML430, 95' E300D
296 Posts
mbeclass,

"Huge Problem!;At dealer auctions they also go for less" I am laughing :) Don't let people discourage you from buying it. My ML has 80k on it and not a single problem with the skyview. The majority of the people that speak down about the skyview don't really know what they are talking about, and secondly wish they had an ML with the option. It is fact, there are far more problems with the standard sunroof than the skyview. Also, I could sell my ML tomorrow for top dollar to several individuals that I know, that want my car because it has this option.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,174 Posts
I once mentioned to my SA that I'd love to have a Skyview Roof (I would have ordered my ML with it but they had deleted it as an option in preparation for the MY2002 changes). He said they had many problems with them, mostly related to debris getting in the tracks and causing damage, although he also mentioned that the motors were notoriously undersized, and there was never an upgrade. With the proliferation of the panorama roof in other MBZ models, and competitors with large roofs, I would not be surprised to see the Skyview or a similar design re-appear in the W164.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
99' ML430, 95' E300D
296 Posts
It would be good to hear experience and feedback from individuals that actually own the skyview option, rather than this dealer hearsay. I own it and I know 2 others that own it (3 including myself), one with 140+k miles on it, all 3 work perfectly and have had no issues at all. No leaks, no motor problems, and no debris causing one to go off track or causing damage.

I do know one of the issue with the skyview was it’s price, this option was a $3,100.00 charge on the sticker, which definitely steered buyers away and probably steered dealers away from carrying it.

Anyone out here actually own this option that can provide his or her feedback? Lets hear it!

ccorley

·
Registered
99' ML430, 95' E300D
296 Posts
nope, that is the factory Mercedes ML430 17" wheel. Which wheel is on the 2000 model you are looking at? Should be the same as mine unless changed, or if it has the sport package?

·
Registered
300E modded, ML500
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CCORLEY - 3/31/2005 1:22 PM
Basically the answer to you question on how to get it to stop rattling is to buy a ML without this option, this is the price your going to have to pay to have such a cool option and beleive me it's worth the noise. You will enjoy the skyview (even with the noise), I wouldn't own the car without this option...
ccorley

I was thinking of just using industrial tape to tape it to the roof. of couse, only the days when i'm not using the sky view roof.

·
Registered
99' ML430, 95' E300D
296 Posts
I don't really think you will find that to be necessary, it really doesn't bother me at all. + with the downforce of the wind off of the Big Ass wind deflector it keeps it matted down at higher speeds. And heck, just do a speaker upgrade and that resolves the noise problem....Seriously though, don't think it's going to bother you as much as you are thinking.

So when are you making the purchase and what is the price if you don't mind me asking? This is the one with 95k miles on it right?

ccorley

·
Registered
99' ML430, 95' E300D
296 Posts
Secondly, where do you live? Guess that could make a difference in regards to how many bumps that you will hit in one day. I live in a pretty good area where the roads are kept nice without many pot holes. I just can't imagine that it was that noisy on a test drive. Mine is only noticable when i hit large pot holes and things of that nature.

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
Sky View and sunroofs in general are one of the worst options to put on a car. One just ends up with breakage, noise, leaks and 3cm (1.25 inches) less headroom. They can't help but be a problem as sunroofs catch all the rain and dirt. My current ML430 unfortunately has a sunroof which has of course broken and the repair is quite costly. I ended up jamming it shut with two wooden wedges and pulled the fuse.

My wife's C280 and a previous S-class in the family were both specially ordered from the factory without sunroofs and let me tell you this makes for a much nicer car. Zero noise above the driver's head, zero maintenance, lots more headroom for me and a more elegant understated appearance. You won't believe how much headroom there is in a C-class without a sunroof.

DelJ

·
Registered
00 ML430,02 c230k co
151 Posts
YOU WERE GOING TO USE TAPE??? You would be driving a ML not a Chevy...WE,I would assume I speak for a lot of people,wouldn't ever do that....(Gee,do I sound like a SNOB or what?)I have that skyview roof on mine and I have 2 girls 7&12 they love it,It's unique you drive a Benz to stand out from the crowd, don't kid yourself,we love pulling up next to other Ml's and pressing the button and the look on other peoples face is like[:0] you can just about hear the guy driving say "Yeah I could'a got that"....Enjoy life, drive well, thats again why your in a Benz or thinking about it...Soo it rattles, it has 95k on it.Mine is a 00 ml430 48k I hear wind noise..the enjoyment is worth it by a mile.As I may have mentioned in a previous post get a warranty and you won't have to worry about it. There are plenty of places to get one. P.S. Is it a 430 or a 320?

·
Registered
2008 GL 550, 2012 C250
73 Posts
I have a sky view. The only thing I notice with mine is wind noice on the highway on windy days. However, you will never hear me compain about it. The closest thing to a convertible SUV! If you do a blue-book value the roof makes the ML more valuable although I cant comment on actual sales. It was a selling point for me, and my friends envy it. Trust your own judgement. We all have heard terrible ML stories, but there are those of us that have not experienced any problems. Happy driving!

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
I know 2 people who have skyview roofs.
THEY LOVE IT.

I am so jealous when I get in their car.

Anyway, don't buy the car just because it has skyview for chrrissake...

If you have a dealer that you know you can ask to run the vehicle history through their computer and they'll tell you all the svc history on the car. Carfax is junk

·
Registered
2011 GLK,2007 S550,2003 S55,2008 CLK,2009 C300,1996 E300,2005 E320,2002 E3
1,355 Posts
My brother has a sky view his 2000 ML430 with 80k on the clock. He has one problem with his power roof.
The problem is that whenever I take his ML out in the Summertime, I dont want to come back[:D]
If I ever snatch another used ML, I will have to have this option[8)][:)]
Its almost like driving a convertible[:I]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts