Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I finally figured out that the master cylinder on my 1984 416 with dual circuit disc brakes is bad. I bought one off of ebay and it has banjo fittings on it between the master cylinder and the ports for the brake lines. I'm assuming I have to plug the banjo fittings because my 416 doesn't have them on the master cylinder, but I have no idea what size the fittings are. Has anyone on here used one of these type of master cylinders before? Does anyone know the size of the plugs I would need? I don't have anywhere I can take it to get the plugs, so I'll have to order them on line. The company I bought it from won't return my e-mails. Any help would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
Hello all, I finally figured out that the master cylinder on my 1984 416 with dual circuit disc brakes is bad. I bought one off of ebay and it has banjo fittings on it between the master cylinder and the ports for the brake lines. I'm assuming I have to plug the banjo fittings because my 416 doesn't have them on the master cylinder, but I have no idea what size the fittings are. Has anyone on here used one of these type of master cylinders before? Does anyone know the size of the plugs I would need? I don't have anywhere I can take it to get the plugs, so I'll have to order them on line. The company I bought it from won't return my e-mails. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Where do you live?

One of the 2, I put a brake sensor in. My 416 runs the brake lights off a pressure switch. Without it, I wouldn't have brake lights.

The other empty one I went and got a NPT plug from the local autoparts store. It wasn't metric, but some teflon tape fixed that.

If there's no local autoparts stores, let me know and I'll go home and try to measure it for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. I'm in California. My brake lights run off of a column mounted switch so I don't need either port. If npt will work with some teflon, then I have access to those fittings. Thanks again, I'll give it a shot!

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
Thanks for the help. I'm in California. My brake lights run off of a column mounted switch so I don't need either port. If npt will work with some teflon, then I have access to those fittings. Thanks again, I'll give it a shot!
Just take the MC with you, they should be able to find one that fits. I think I found mine at Checkers or maybe Advance. I forget which. If they can't help you let me know. I bought 2 and only used 1. It's probably SAE, but at least you'll know what size to look for.

·
Registered
573 Posts
UNIMOG Master Cylinder

Did you buy this one?

Cheap Chinese Knockoff that endangers innocent people and is being sold by a guy with no liability insurance for when you plow into a school bus, but hey you're saving a ton of money in the meantime.........

If so, it's for a drum braked truck. You'll need the disc brake master cylinder that has ports for the direct connection of the brake lines.

Even though the seller says for "disc and drum", this is incorrect. Do you really think that the amount of fluid volume for four wheel cylinders is the same volume that is required for six calipers?

-Sean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts