Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E420
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me which type of socket I need and the sizes to release the tensioner and remove the alternator? I thought that I bought the right set, but non of them had a snug fit, or straight up skipped the ones I need for this 1999 E320...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,319 Posts
Those are torx heads and require E-wrenches.
You can buy set of designated E, but new generation box or socket will work on them as well.
Even 12-point will catch, but not for high torque and alternators usually have high torque.
If you don't have already, I'd advise to buy E-sockets and one of those sets.

·
Registered
1998 E320s sedan and wagon
970 Posts
The alternator takes an E14 socket.

Most tensioners have a 17mm hex under the belt, at about 7 o’clock looking straight at the tensioner pulley, so you can use a lug wrench.

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles

·
Registered
1997 E420
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are torx heads and require E-wrenches.
You can buy set of designated E, but new generation box or socket will work on them as well.
Even 12-point will catch, but not for high torque and alternators usually have high torque.
If you don't have already, I'd advise to buy E-sockets and one of those sets.

The alternator takes an E14 socket.

Most tensioners have a 17mm hex under the belt, at about 7 o’clock looking straight at the tensioner pulley, so you can use a lug wrench.

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles
Ah okay, I had previously bought this one
I just need to find it lol

Hopefully it's just the voltage regulator that needs replacing... lol

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,654 Posts
You have the old style tensioner. It requires an E10 socket to take the serpentine belt off. When you have the belt off, check all pulleys and bearings for wear. I would replace the idler pulley as it is only a $5 part online.

Alternator bolt is 42 Nm.

·
Registered
1998 E320s sedan and wagon
970 Posts
Looking at your pictures again, your tensioner idler pulley might take a deep 17mm socket right at the hub.

Looks like you need a front crank seal too.

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Looking at your pictures again, your tensioner idler pulley might take a deep 17mm socket right at the hub.
You probably can, but there is a possibility that nut can come loose. It secures the pulley to the tensioner.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Easier if you use a 16-18" breaker bar or long handle ratchet!

·
Registered
1997 E420
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Looks like you need a front crank seal too.

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles
Thank for the help guys! I'm ready to tackle it tomorrow. Hopefully I have the right voltage regulator too! Is the crank seal the reason or one of the reasons I have a mad oil leak? I bought a bunch of engine degreaser and rags, I was going to clean as much of it as possible to see where it was coming from. The car had been sitting for a while and something on the passenger side or underneath the engine started give of a bit of white smoke. I was thinking oil had reached some really hot surface like an exhaust pipe.

Hahaha, I had that video and the guide from the stickys ready.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Oil on a hot surface is usually valve cover cap/gasket leak dripping on the exhaust pipe. You probably have more than one leak. Check oil test port near the tensioner and all power steering hoses etc.

·
Registered
1997 E420
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oil on a hot surface is usually valve cover cap/gasket leak dripping on the exhaust pipe. You probably have more than one leak. Check oil test port near the tensioner and all power steering hoses etc.
Man, I really hope that the regulator was the culprit, it did look worn out, but I won't know until I put the alternator back on. I wanted to take it to AutoZone to get it checked, but they've ALWAYS lied to me about needing a new battery, alternator or both lol

I also did find a part of the exhaust pipe with oil on it, right where the white smoke was coming from so I'll try to degrease that and as much of the engine and fittings to find all the leaks besides the possible ones you've mentioned.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
There are several great threads in the "stickies" on how to reseal the valve cover caps if you never done them before. How many miles on your car? If you're around 100K, change the spark plugs while you're "in there" and the EGR hoses and................LOL

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic 142,000 miles
70 Posts
Man, I really hope that the regulator was the culprit, it did look worn out, but I won't know until I put the alternator back on. I wanted to take it to AutoZone to get it checked, but they've ALWAYS lied to me about needing a new battery, alternator or both lol

I also did find a part of the exhaust pipe with oil on it, right where the white smoke was coming from so I'll try to degrease that and as much of the engine and fittings to find all the leaks besides the possible ones you've mentioned.

How many miles on your E420? That VR looks nearly worn out!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
There are several great threads in the "stickies" on how to reseal the valve cover caps if you never done them before. How many miles on your car? If you're around 100K, change the spark plugs while you're "in there" and the EGR hoses and................LOL
Just realize you have the M119 engine................disregard comment on valve cover breather cap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts