Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1989 300E, 1992 400E, 1991 300E, 2004 240 4MATIC, 1972 Nova Prostreet
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I own a 3.0 liter 6ix. Seems like all of you guys spend the bulk of your time pimping the exteriors of your MB's and doing some nice wheel and suspension changes. I have done some of the same to mine. But how about engine modifications? Is anyone interested, or are the parts simply not available? There has to be a supplier of camshafts, for example, that can take advantage of this decent compression ratio, no? Or perhaps different ratio rockers to improve lift? Anything? I would hate to have to install a V8 and suffer the costs and headaches in order to cross the 200+ hp border. I really like my 2 300E's, but my wife's 240 4 matic wagon kicks my ass! Must I revert to my American v8 for kicks? Please point me to some 6ix cylinder upgrades!!

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
well there are some hidden out there but be weary.. these upgrades are going to end up costing more than the car itself. i don't know where per-say, since i don't have enough money for that, but its out there... ill help look

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
True, these mods will cost more than the car.
There are Schrick cams from Germany for the M103 that cost about $700 not including labor. There are sweet headers made by Supersprint and also Leistritz. I know the supersprint headers cost about $1500 and I have only seen these things in the U.K. there are other mods also very expensive. Try browsing through the Beckers imports catalog. This is for both Mercedes and BMW.

·
Registered
Chevy Monte Carlo SS
189 Posts
Spend $1800-$2500 on a custom turbo install. You can run 6-7psi without the need of an intercooler. That should get you moving quickly.

·
Registered
1989 300E, 1992 400E, 1991 300E, 2004 240 4MATIC, 1972 Nova Prostreet
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't expect that peformance upgrades would be on the cheap! Thanks for your input, I will pursue all of your leads, and get back as to my progress! As to the value of the car...it may command $4K or so in present condition, but that is not my concern. I truly enjoy finding a worthy vehicle type (in this case my '89 300E) and building a performance vehicle that suits my perceived goals for that particular car. I have modified quite a few card including several Datsun 510's, and many American muscle cars. They all served their purpose - mainly to allow me to enjoy driving a car better than the original, at speeds far above legal limits. There is a certain satisfaction derived from suprising otherwise unsuspecting drivers!

·
Registered
1984 300cd 1986 Porsche 930
30 Posts
I agree! A car as pleasing to the eye as a 300CE should have more guts. I am tired of old 325 BMWs passing me by. We are getting ready to do an engine swap. The donor car has been delivered and the work should begin 1st week of June. We are putting a 119 engine (4.2 V8) from an 420E into a 300CE. Swap will include the entire crossmember, the larger brakes, etc. A lot of work, but it should be a real screamer (the CE has a 3.27 rear end). We will photo document the entire process, if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I know a fellow on the west coast that turbo charged his 300E.

Anyone interested shoot me an email off list and I'll forward our corresponnce etc..

Jonathan

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 300 TE
460 Posts
Sweet. I am sure that turbo is a little out of my mods budget. I have a 66 stang vert restoration going on in my garage. I am looking for an induction kit for a little better gas milage and better sound.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts