Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
450 SLC
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad is giving me his SLC and it has been sitting for a year without being started. What kind of things should I do to prepare it for it's intended weekend cruising? I don't know if there are any items unique to these cars. Normally I would think fuel, filters, oil, and maybe a tune up would be in order. Anything else? All responses are appreciated![:D]

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts
Good charged battery and check the brakes (seals in calipers, stuck pads etc.)...

Good charged battery and check the brakes (seals in calipers, stuck pads etc.)

·
BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,159 Posts
Sitting for a year

When you have changed all the fluids, i would disconnect the Coil lead and crank it with the starter motor for a good 30 seconds before reconnecting th elead. The reason for this is that over the year, all of the oil will have run back into the sump, and if it fires up quickly, damage could be done to any number of parts, particularily at the top end. Cranking it will pump oil back up to the top of the engine.

·
Registered
450 SLC
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my dad took it to the shop before I got to it. He said he got it to start but it wo...

Well my dad took it to the shop before I got to it. He said he got it to start but it wouldn't run. Found he fuel system had lots of sediment and once it was cleaned out it ran fine. He is having some odds and ends done to it. New pad for the hood, new bushings in the sway bar, or maybe it was the track bar? Anyway I'll get it this weekend and change fluids and do a tune up. Thanks for all your input, sounds like reoutine stuff should be all it needs. He did say the A/C wasn't working because it had a leak. Will they charge R12 systems anymore? Last I remember it had to be converted (ouch). I'll post some pictures as soon as I get it all cleaned up and looking pretty. Look forward to many conversations with you all. Cheers! [:)]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts