Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2009 SLK 55 AMG
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

getting mine this week hopefully. currently have xm radio in my slk320. anyone have sirius in their new 350? did u get it through the dealer, call sirius or what? getting premium entertainment package and brochure mentions sirius. did not get a chance to ask dealer yet. thanks for any unfo

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Dealer installed Sirius for me. Works well, fully integrated with the COMAND screen and controls, and channels are selectable from the steering wheel buttons as well. Included with the dealer install is a 1-year subscription and warranty. Cost me $1200 and the dealer even accomodated my request for a stealth antenna install (they had to order a special smaller non-MB sirius antenna for this). The antenna is not a wart on the trunk but instead hidden with no apparent sacrifices in reception so far.

·
Registered
2009 SLK 55 AMG
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. why so much? a sirius radio at best buy and subscription is no where near that?

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Order Sirius as a factory (VPC) option for $699

If you order as a factory (VPP) option Sirius will only cost $699 with a 13 month subscription. Of course you get the black wart on the trunk. I'm looking into having mine panted. There is a company called colormatchantenna that does this.
http://colormatchantenna.netfirms.com/antennas/nfoscomm/catalog/welcome.php
I have read some good things about them on the Sirius Backstage forum. Here is quote

Hi William,

I just got an antenna from paintmatchedantenna and they did a great job matching my Mercedes black. It will make a big difference in the look on your, very attractive, SLK. You can't even buy the paint and clearcoat in spray cans for the $25 that they charge on their special right now.
I will contact them next week and get details and info.

jbanks15 - 3/13/2005 5:15 PM

thanks for the reply. why so much? a sirius radio at best buy and subscription is no where near that?
While $699 is expensive keep in mind the following.
1. 13 month subscription
2. You will get back about 50% at trade in time
3. The MB Sirius hooks into the optical digital bus for better sound and integration.
4. Will the Best Buy PnP do this?

·
Registered
'05 SLK350
73 Posts
My SLK350 had just been ordered when MBUSA started doing the VPC install option for Sirius. So I ordered it. But it got all screwed up and delayed my car at the VPC for two weeks while they tried to straighten it out. Finally gave up and had the dealer do it. $679 plus about two hours of labor, so more expensive than VPC option. The antenna is the trunk wart, but with my black car it doesn't bother me at all. But then I'm not bothered by front license plates, antennas or side marker lights, all of which seem to drive some people absolutely crazy.

It came with a 14 month free subscription and when that is up I'll simply add this car to my existing account as a second car is half the price of the first.

Reception is fine. Sound quality is fine. I never, ever play music in the car unless I'm on the interstate, so if there are any minor problems with the sound I wouldn't hear them anyway.

The only gripe I have is that MB didn't design the ergonomics very well. Operation of the system while driving is much better thought out in my BMW, but that's a pretty minor difference. Oh, and the screen is completely unreadable with the top down. Somebody really wasn't thinking when they designed that!

·
Registered
2009 SLK 55 AMG
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks all

julien, best buy probably not but masmole stated 1200 so i was trying to see where those figures came from.

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
jbanks15 - 3/13/2005 5:58 PM

thanks all

julien, best buy probably not but masmole stated 1200 so i was trying to see where those figures came from.
Yeah I thought $1200 was a bit much but I figured it was because I requested a custom install of the the antenna. Like I said, I don't have the wart, but instead a hidden antenna in an area not recommended by MB. My dealer had to order a special smaller and low-profile sirius antenna and a splitter since the MB sirius unit uses a 2-lead system. Still doesn't add up but that's typical dealer price inflation for ya.... no big deal, they did a great job and did it in a timely fashion. A stereo shop quoted me $950 for the same install but that's without a warranty so I couldn't take it to my dealer and complain if something ever went wrong with the sirius unit.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Sirius panted antenna

Take a look at this. Just got my Color Match antenna and all I can say is WOW. It is a perfect match and is a great improvement over MB ugly black. I will take some shots tomorrow in daylight and post them with a review of performance. One word of caution: The Allen wrench screw has a plastic head and I could not get it out without stripping (see plastic shavings on the car). I also installed it facing in the wrong direction but afraid to try and unscrew it. This has to be the best $25 mod you can get.[8D]
http://colormatchantenna.netfirms.com/antennas/nfoscomm/catalog/index.php

·
Registered
2009 SLK 55 AMG
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
masmole,

you stated

'My dealer had to order a special smaller and low-profile sirius antenna and a splitter since the MB sirius unit uses a 2-lead system.'

Is it possible for you to get me the model of the antenna so i can supply it to my dealer? thanks

·
Registered
2009 SLK 55 AMG
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
masmole,

is the sirius receiver in the trunk or under the passenger floorboards?

how long is the cable for the antenna?

thanks

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
jbanks15 - 3/24/2005 9:15 AM

masmole,

is the sirius receiver in the trunk or under the passenger floorboards?

how long is the cable for the antenna?

thanks
The Sirius receiver is in the trunk on the drivers side.

·
Registered
2009 SLK 55 AMG
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the reply. does anyone have their reciver under the passenger floorboard? that is where my current xm receiver is located. my concern is the length of the antenna cable from trunk to engine cowl like masmole had installed.

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
jbanks15,

Sorry I have no idea what model my sirius antenna is and the only visible mark that I can see on it as installed in my car is the sirius logo. I tried searching the web for pics but cannot find one that matches mine. It is definitely the smallest sirius antenna I've ever seen and even the mini ones I've found on the web are larger. The Sirius receiver is in the trunk on the driver's side as Julien said. I did not do the install myself so I have no idea how long the cable is but I suspect it is quite long. However, I did install the antenna on my X5 and the antenna cable was easily over 10 feet long. The dealer who installed my antenna in the custom location is Mercedes-Benz of Orland Park, IL. I'm sure they won't mind giving you the model number if you contact them. Whatever model it is, it works great. Reception is better than the larger terk sirius antenna on my X5.

·
Registered
2009 SLK 55 AMG
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Masmole/ALL

I called mercedes of orland park as you suggested and they referred me to the people that install it for them, Audio Tech. I will send them a check. Thanks for the assistance. My car won't be here until June but want all my ducks in order.

Here is info in case someone else needs it:

Audio Tech Systems Inc
15531 South 70th Court
Attn: Joe
Orland Park, IL 60462

phone number 708-429-8100

Antenna $79.99 shipping $10.00
Splitter $49.99

·
Registered
2009 SLK 55 AMG
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fyi $49.95 for a splitter is twice as much as anyone should pay. wish i had a model number for the $79.95 so i can comparison shop

·
Registered
2009 SLK 55 AMG
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
masmole et al,

Finally got my car and though I gave them the smaller antenna and splitter and instucted them to put it in the cowl vent as per masmole's pictures which i supplied to them, they said that the antenna and splitter would not fit! so they put the standard wart antenna in the truck lid well!! it was hidden so i said fine. left city limits and then got' cannot acquire satelitte' or whatever the lost signal message is. back to the dealer, leave car and they move it to another part of the trunk (inside again!). they say it works. i say take it for a drive outside the city limit. they do and they lose the signal.(ha! i was not crying wolf!). they finally contact a local audio guy who says, 'what took u so long to call me?' they give him my original smaller antenna and splitter and ta da! satellite radio. so all the groundwork i did to make it all jell was worth it. I want to give a special thanks to masmole and all that gave me input. masmole's picture at the beginning of this thread is exactly how it looks. do not, i repeat do not settle for that wart on the trunk. stick to your guns or have them call mercedes of tampa bay, as i was deemed their guinea pig. I must say that the dealership did work for 3 days to make sure I was satisfied to include redoing my tint 3 times.

·
Registered
SLK 350
248 Posts
My poor SLK 350 does not have a COMAND. The dealer told me they CAN install the Sirius, but mentioned they have never done it on an SLK before. They also didn't say any thing about Comand. Then I called MB customer service, who told me that it is installable, but without the Comand it will not be controlled by the car radio or steering wheel buttons and it needs to be mounted.
Any comments?

·
Registered
2007 GL320 CDI, 2005 SLK350 and 2001 SLK320
328 Posts
I saw a C230 sedan at last year's Love Mercedes event. It did not have COMAND but it did have Sirius playing on the standard radio. That's doesn't mean it will work on the SLK without COMAND, but it's a possibility.

·
Registered
SLK 350
248 Posts
jbanks,
Congradulations on your great victory on Sat installation!
I am going to follow your foot steps (thanks
to you and masmole for being the pioneers!)
I was wondering if you figured out the part numbers of the antenna and splitter. I am trying to see if it is easier/cheaper to buy them from audio tech and have them shipped or to find the parts directly.
The next prblem will be to find a MB installer who would be willing to go ahead and do the stealth installation
BTW, would you mind if I ask you how much you paid for installation and how many months of free subscription you got?
Thanks,
Eric

1 - 20 of 21 Posts