Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Color Match antenna and all I can say is WOW. It is a perfect match and is a great improvement over MB's ugly black unit. I will take some shots tomorrow in daylight and post them with a review of performance. One word of caution: The Allen wrench screw has a plastic head and I could not get it out without stripping (see plastic shavings on the car). I also installed it facing in the wrong direction but afraid to try and unscrew it. This has to be the best $25 mod you can get.
http://colormatchantenna.netfirms.com/antennas/nfoscomm/catalog/index.php

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
tiggerfink,
Is that a pic of an SL with the hidden antenna install? what is that thing to the right of the antenna that looks like some sort of sensor? The "vents" where my antenna was installed looks competely different... and it seems sirius antennas keep getting smaller and smaller. The one they used on my car is about half the size of a computer mouse.

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
bigciti - 3/19/2005 5:23 PM

How is the reception using the hidden antenna...any dead spots etc.?
Reception is excellent. Haven't noticed a drop in signal yet not counting the obvious dead spots like under tunnels, parking garages, etc. Reception in and around the city and even the burbs of Chicago is flawless. In fact, the reception on my hidden antenna is better than the reception of the sirius radio on my X5 which has an antenna perched up high on the roof of an already tall car. Go figure. I'm beginning to think that not all sirius antennas are created equal. The antenna on my X5 is the standard BMW oem-part one while the one in my benz is a low-profile miniaturized non-standard aftermarket antenna that my dealer special-ordered, not from the Mercedes-Benz parts catalog.

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
masmole - 3/19/2005 2:15 AM

tiggerfink,
Is that a pic of an SL with the hidden antenna install? what is that thing to the right of the antenna that looks like some sort of sensor? The "vents" where my antenna was installed looks competely different... and it seems sirius antennas keep getting smaller and smaller. The one they used on my car is about half the size of a computer mouse.
Yes, a SL600. Those are sensors in the vents. Some MB dealers have a special kit/bracket to custom fit the antenna in the vents for about $300.

Go here for some pics. http://www.mbnz.org/gallery/showlink.asp?parentid=24&catid=12790&subname=My%202005%20SL600

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some before and after shots. As you can see it is quite an improvement for such a small investment.

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
looks nice. people will wonder what it is since it doesn't look much like an antenna. and nice car, they look fun to drive. how do you rate that car?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts