Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '03 E55 w/ COMAND. The car came fully loaded (95k sticker)
and I'm assuming it was pre wired for Sirius, since the head unit has a "SAT" button for the radio, and when you hit it, it reads "no satellite radio" on screen, so I'm guessing it's looking for the tuner that isn't there. I have heard conflicting stories about '03s not having Sirius capabilities, but yet my car seems to have everything ready to go. I checked with a dealer and was able to give me a part # for the tuner, and some WACK price of like $950.00 for it, so that would also lead me to believe that a tuner would be compatable. Basically, what I'm getting at is, is that I'm looking for some sort of confirmation that if I spend the coin for the Sirius tuner, antenna, etc., that it will actually work on my car. The car was built 8/03. Any help or info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you have a US spec comand head unit (which you have, since it says 'SAT' on one of its buttons), you should be safe.

greetingz,

BigSis

·
Registered
1983 300sd turbo/bio
26 Posts
You are pre wired for satellite radio,all you need is the sirius module and install kit.dealer will need to version code system for it to work.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you want integrated Sirius SAT radio - thus MB solution - USD 950 isn't that bad. If I am not mistaking, you will get 12 or 14 months subscription (included in the price), and I assume the dealer included installation fee in this price as well...

Do keep in mind that the dealer will mount an antenna ON the trunklid, whereas MBenzNL will stealth install the SAT antenna. The MBenzNL way may cause occasional dropouts, but at least one doesn't have to dril a hole in the trunklid to mount the antenna.

greetingz,

BigSis

·
Registered
2005 E500
10 Posts
RE: Sirius installation on 06 E350

How much does Scorchie or MLBenzNL charge for the Sirius unit and install? I am getting my 06 E350 w/ US Comand/Nav in a few days and the dealer told me they have to install the antenna on the trunk, I would like it on the roof near the other antenna or another less visilbe spot. No trunk bump for me. I am located in Sacramento, CA, about 85 miles east of San Francisco and about 70 miles from the SF East Bay area.[:)]

·
Registered
1983 300sd turbo/bio
26 Posts
I figured out the best stealth install for the MB "factory " pre-wired vehicles specifically S class and E-class. At the rear hatshelf with the trunk lid open, standing in front of trunk,run your finger at center of rear glass under the hatshelf and look/feel for the cutout "x". You will be able to poke your finger through it. Now,tell whoever installs the kit....run antenna leads from inside vehicle through this cutout and the final position of the Sat antenna will be at the center of the hatshelf between the rear glass. Apply felt at base of antenna to prevent cutting of hatshelf material and simply press the antenna to a snug fit.The back of the antenna has a 45 degree slope to it that fits perfectly with the rear glass angle. My geusss is that at one time in MB engineering the was tought out as possible install procedure,but opted for the trnk location instead. Me and the shop foreman have done several this way and no problems with reception. Antenna must be "line of sight" only. I hope this helps you out. With the leads hanging down it is simple to reconfigure the factory leads by removing the trunk lid trim panel and undo the leads to meet up with the antenna connections.

·
Registered
1983 300sd turbo/bio
26 Posts
Also, if this is not ok with you, inquire with MB parts. There is a redesigned Sat antenna coming out that is very slim specific for the new SL class. No one knows yet if it will integrate with pre-existing Sat installs. The customer unpopularity of the available trunk mount has fueled the redesign. I hope this info is beneficial. Please feel free to email me with more help.

·
Registered
2005 E500
10 Posts
RE: Sirius installation on 06 E350

Thanks for the info., I will print and take to the dealer. Maybe if they won't do the antenna on the parcel shelf, I can ask them just to install the base unit and then take the antenna somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
'85 W201.601; '13 X204.651
748 Posts
Now,tell whoever installs the kit....run antenna leads from inside vehicle through this cutout and the final position of the Sat antenna will be at the center of the hatshelf between the rear glass.
Curious, are you suggesting that the antenna will be INSIDE the car below the roof line? Wouldn't this defeat the 'line of site' requirement for reception in certain orientation of the car and result in signal interruption? Reason I question is that I'm installing aftermarket Sirius and the technical support from the seller suggested something similar by mounting the antenna on the dashboard within 3" of the windshield, which seems unsatisfactory. :confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts