Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to schedule to have my dealer paint my antenna for $60 but have found what may be a better deal. This company is running a $25 special to paint Sirius antennas. The only big problem is you have to ship it to them and will be without it for a few days. Here is the info from them.

http://colormatchantenna.netfirms.com/antennas/nfoscomm/catalog/index.php?cPath=27

we paint the factory antennas as well. Even if it is a metallic color it won't affect signal strength. The only antennas we can't paint are the ones that are factory installed, i.e. a lot of the GM cars. We paint the Mercedes antenna. As a matter of fact if you want to save money buy the antenna from us or on Ebay and you'll save a lot of money over what the dealership would charge and it will be painted. Soon the dealerships will be painting them but in the meantime.

Dear William,

We paint the antenna the day we get it and send it out the next day.
From the time we get the antenna to the time you get the antenna back
would be about 4 days total. Feel free to ask any other questions to
this email.

Taylor Mitchell
ColorMatchAntenna

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You no longer have to ship your antenna to them. They send out a painted replacement. Here are some before and after shots. The $25 special may be over but even at $40 it is still a bargain for the quick service, quality and, exact color match. As you can see it is quite an improvement for such a small investment.[8D]

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Did you install it the wrong way around?

Shame the Sirius antenna kills the smooth looks of the car a little bit [:(]

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shinigami - 3/21/2005 9:45 AM

Did you install it the wrong way around?

Shame the Sirius antenna kills the smooth looks of the car a little bit [:(]
Yes, I did but I'm not sure there is a right way. It would seem that the angle should face the wind and not the rear. Do you (and others) think it looks better with angle forward or backward? You are right it is a shame the MB uses such a large black antenna but at least panted it helps.

·
Registered
SL350
53 Posts
I'm sorry that you guys in the US have to put up with the Sirius antenna. This is the first time I have seen one and it looked utterly awful - IMHO!![8D]

·
Registered
SLK 350 Iridium/Blk
177 Posts
SatRadio antenna - in vs out

This exterior antenna mess is a shame. My interior XM radio antenna is simply held magnetically to the dashboard center speaker grill and performs perfectly without notice. RBS

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RE: SatRadio antenna - in vs out

bstronger - 3/22/2005 10:31 PM

This exterior antenna mess is a shame. My interior XM radio antenna is simply held magnetically to the dashboard center speaker grill and performs perfectly without notice. RBS
This is very true that MB should be ashamed. However having a separate PnP receiver with wires running around the interior is far from an elegant solution.

·
Registered
2008 R320 CDI, 2006 SLK350
118 Posts
In your pictures, I noticed the short antenna for the regular radio. I thought I remember from a previous thread on the subject of replacement antennas, that you had tried one.

Is the one you have in the picture the aftermarket stub or is that an antenna from the SL500?

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FunBenz - 3/22/2005 11:14 PM

In your pictures, I noticed the short antenna for the regular radio. I thought I remember from a previous thread on the subject of replacement antennas, that you had tried one.

Is the one you have in the picture the aftermarket stub or is that an antenna from the SL500?
It is the aftermarket stub antenna bought of e-bay that works marginally.

·
Registered
SLK 350
87 Posts
Julien: That is a great improvement over the black. Thanks for the info about the exchange. One question: What is involved in changing the antenna? I'm not the most mechanically inclined!

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Easy to install

HiltonHead - 3/23/2005 9:18 AM

Julien: That is a great improvement over the black. Thanks for the info about the exchange. One question: What is involved in changing the antenna? I'm not the most mechanically inclined!
Chuck,

I was just thinking about you last night and started to PM you (but my starter broke).[:D] Just remove the hex head screw and the cover comes off without effecting the antenna mount. Just be careful because the head is plastic and can strip easily.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts