Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1985 190e 2.3 auto, 1982 300D
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry it this has been discussed a lot. I tried to search but I'm on dial up right now and didn't get to far.

Anyway, I've decided to fix up my old 1985 190e. I have another motor from a similar 1985. I have new gaskets and valve seals to freshen it up a bit before I replace the motor. I'm thinking I should replace the timing chain and tensioner too. It has the older single roller type, is it possible or wise to switch it to the newer double roller type? If so what parts would need to be replaced? Any suggestions where to get (or not get) parts? Anything else I should replace while I'm in there? Maybe an oil pump or some bearings too? I wasn't planning a full rebuild as the motor seems to be running pretty well already, just want to do a few things that are easier with the engine out.

Thanks

· Registered
1992 W201 190E 2.3 8v, 1986 BMW 635CSi
436 Posts
i believe it is possible.

my neighbor used to have a 1981 320sl and i remember him saying he had bought a conversion kit to convert it to the double row timing chain

· Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,803 Posts
While possible, it's really not worth it. You'll have to replace nearly the entire front timing section, gears, cover, guides. It would be better practice just to keep your chain tensioner in good shape and listen everytime you start for the telltale chain noise until oil pressure builds up.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'll just put a new single chain back on. It seems pretty cheap on the parts websites. What about other parts? There's a bunch of sliders in there too that seem pretty cheap to replace.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's good to know, probably a lot easier to do before I put the new motor in. I have a slide hammer so it shouldn't be too tough to do.

Do you think it's wise to change the oil pump while it's apart? The "new" motor has a bit over 100,000 miles.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.