Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
39,177 Posts
I get odd looks from bartenders just asking for Bushmills and now you want me to pronounce Connemara and Knappogue?

·
Surely A Large Human
35,725 Posts
^ Use a drunkardly, gutteral voice...slur it a bit, but quickly. Think Charlie's dad ("STUUUARRRRRT!") from "So I Married An Axe Murderer".

Look at them like they're idiots if they didn't get it.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,248 Posts
I get odd looks from bartenders just asking for Bushmills and now you want me to pronounce Connemara and Knappogue?
Is Tyrconnel easier? Good stuff.

For smoothness, a good Calvados apple brandy is not too shabby either.

·
39,248 Posts
Having just read the thread through, I must admit it is, to my knowledge, the first in BenzWorld history of more than one page in which there are no disagreements, no shill "callings-out", no flames whatsoever, not even an ember.

I think we're all drunk.
I have an excuse, I am German and it's still October.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,512 Posts
Went out to buy a bottle of Buffalo Trace this morning, but noticed Jim Beam 'The Devil's Cut' on special. Not normally keen on Jim Beam, but being the wild and crazy person that I am, went ahead and tried it, in the car park. It is superb. Another bottle tomorrow...

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
IMO, the majority of single malts can improve over max. 30 years when stored properly, and will decline afterwards.
Once bottled any whisky stops aging. Aging comes from being in the cask.

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
Fun fact:

Anybody ever tried to drink 120 year old cognac?... you can't.
I once enjoyed a HUGE and FREE glass of Sempe' 1947 armagnac in their hospitality suite. First year they were able to bottle after those dastardly German tourists took their beach towels off all the sunbeds and went home. The drive back to my parents' home in Mirande is best not discussed. Hic.

·
39,248 Posts
In pre revolution Iran, I got familiar with some excellent Armenian 'Brandy.' Apparently at the International Paris fair in 1900 Armenian Shustov Brandy was entered in a blind tasting of otherwise exclusively prime French cognac's, won the Grand Prix, and the right to legally call the spirit 'Cognac.'
Among seasonal offers, Trader Joe's used to have a pretty decent Calvados, a French spirit from Normandy most American's are not familiar with.
It goes down like a good Cognac or Armagnac, but 5 minutes later you can still taste apples. Not sure what made me think of Calvados?
Even though I grew up around my fathers construction business, where literally everyone consumed alcohol during working hours, I have a lifelong dislike against drinking alcohol as long as there is still day light.
None of my parents or relatives drank, so I really don't know where that comes from, just lucky i guess :grin

·
Immoderately Caffeinated/ Vintage Moderator
16,392 Posts
..snip.
Even though I grew up around my fathers construction business, where literally everyone consumed alcohol during working hours, I have a lifelong dislike against drinking alcohol as long as there is still day light.
None of my parents or relatives drank, so I really don't know where that comes from, just lucky i guess :grin
Did you try closing the blinds? Works for me:smile

·
Registered
14,512 Posts
^ I was wearing shades in the car park today - that's dark enough for me.:beerchugr:

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
^ for the millenials no doubt, because hoisting a glass is just so much hard work... And they can't figure out the cork stoppers in those bottle thingies... so twentieth century

·
39,248 Posts
^ for the millenials no doubt, because hoisting a glass is just so much hard work... And they can't figure out the cork stoppers in those bottle thingies... so twentieth century
Hey, don't knock cork stoppers, especially those in single malt bottles.
They make a specific sound, that over 50 or so years I have become quite fond of.

I would have used an emoji, but the ones now are really :poop:

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
^ I got too fond of that sound. Five years next weekend.

New addiction now:

41 - 60 of 61 Posts