Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Banned
11,045 Posts
"Dalmore Master Blender Richard Paterson's suggestions for tasting: Prepare the palate with a cup of warm Colombian coffee and milk; let the noble spirit drift over the tongue; finish with a bitter-chocolate such as Cote d'Or or Godiva. "The combination of coffee, The Dalmore and the bitter chocolate," says Paterson, "will ensure the experience is unforgettable."

Sounds very faggy to me. Fucking Scots misers are laughing all the way to the bank, heh heh.

You are not wrong there. It's a masterful exercise in export marketing, from the P.T. Barnum school.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Macallan 18 Yr.
I forgot about that one.

While not as elaborate, I do add a teaspoon or two of water to the Scotch not to dilute, but to 'spread' the taste. This is sometimes effective when tasting dense malts like the Laphroaig 30; a little water helps bring out more subtle in-between flavors that are usually masked by intense medicinal cabinet/iodine signature of Laphroaigs.

·
Registered
21,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here are some of my favorites:
Single Malts, Islay = Lagavulin 16 Yr, Ardbeg 10 Yr, Speyside = Glenfarclas 105, Springbank 15 Yr, Cragganmore 12 Yr (the founder used to manage Macallan), Macallan 18 Yr. trader joe's carries a private label bottling,
Orkneys = Highland Park 12 yr., all preferably in a thistle glass with a bit of lightly chilled water and no ice.
The 12 Yr old Glen Ord from the West Highlands is IMO a nice every day single malt that reminds me a bit of Lagavulin. Trader Joe's usually has promo gift boxes with glasses etc. before the holidays. Two years ago they were selling a box with one 750 ml, and a 250 ml bottle in it for about ten bucks. I couldn't resist, and bought thirty or so, and it also made a nice little present for friends.

My acquaintance with single malt scotch began in my late teens. One of my teachers was living with an English Colonel, one of those laid back ex colonial officers who lived in many houses complete with servants, then again in a tents, in the mud, or with the water running through the bottom (here is to you, Larry). He told me some great stories, and in the process introduced me to Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, and Glenmorangie. A few years after I served in the German Luftwaffe, first in Budel, in the South of Holland near the Belgian border (and the Zolder race track), then in Oldenburg, and later in Gütersloh, near my home town of Bielefeld on the Teutoburg forests range (where the Teutonic tribes killed several Roman legions commanded by Varus). In Gütersloh I was part of a 100 men strong German AF (spit and polish) Kompanie within the huge British Barracks. I would sneak off into the Brit officers clubs, was introduced to Snooker, and a single malt cost only half a German Mark. This was when the US dollar was worth about 4 and a half German Marks.
I have been collecting single malts for about 18 Years, and have tasted every one of them.
Musician friends would bring obscure or in the U.S. hard to get bottles, like Ledaig from the Isle of Mull. Beside the 80 or so single malts, I have around 30 blended scotch.
A thistle glass is a good way to get the maximum aroma, and of course drink the stuff.
To your health, and what is left of mine. Cheers

P.S. Water and scotch is a funny little thing to try, where you first pour water into a glass, put a cloth napkin over the glass, and push if down with a reversed spoon until the bottom of the napkin touches the water in the glass, now slowly drip the spirit onto the reversed spoon until you like the measure. When you remove the spoon and napkin, the scotch will stay on top of the water unless stirred.
By having the scotch on top of the water, you will drink part scotch and part water, but the palate is being tricked in tasting undiluted scotch.
I will have to try that... Thanks for l'histoire!

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,248 Posts
I forgot about that one.

While not as elaborate, I do add a teaspoon or two of water to the Scotch not to dilute, but to 'spread' the taste. This is sometimes effective when tasting dense malts like the Laphroaig 30; a little water helps bring out more subtle in-between flavors that are usually masked by intense medicinal cabinet/iodine signature of Laphroaigs.
Actually the Isle of Mull's Ledaig reminds me of Laphroaig, which has become a bit too peaty for my taste. If you ever get your hands on a Port Ellen (Lagavulin uses the Port Ellen maltings)......, and have you tried Caol ILa?
In my favorites, a forgot the Speyside's 15 Y Longmorn.
About 12 years ago, when Laproaig made a push into the US market, an English friend and I used to buy the stuff by the case from Trader Joe's.
Then, each bottle included the deed for one square foot of land on the Isle of Isla.
We used to joke, that we had enough deeds for a burial plot.

BTW, If there is a Trader Joe's / Aldi market in your area, they carry a number of private label bottlings, incl. the 10 Y Aberlour, and an 18 Y Maccallan.

·
Surely A Large Human
35,725 Posts
I forgot about that one.

I do the same thing (water) with a couple of ice cubes. You get a widely varied experience over the whole glass.

That said, there's nothing like the first sip of Lagavulin. Heaven in a glass.

·
39,248 Posts
I do the same thing (water) with a couple of ice cubes. You get a widely varied experience over the whole glass.

That said, there's nothing like the first sip of Lagavulin. Heaven in a glass.

I agree, the 16 Yr Lagavulin is in a class of it's own (IMO).
In the last 8 Years or so, the price has doubled here.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
I like to smoke a bowl, then take a sip of scotch. I let the scotch swish around my mouth as I exhale out through my nose...nice

·
Banned
11,045 Posts
Anyway, what happened to that all-singing, all dancing, flag-flying, marching band Merkin patriotism?

Let's hear some good tips on home-grown whiskey. The Scots and Irish may have imported the 'technology', but the end product is very different.
I tried Yosey's recommendation of Buffalo Trace last time I was over and very good it was too.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
I agree, the 16 Yr Lagavulin is in a class of it's own (IMO).
In the last 8 Years or so, the price has doubled here.
$75 a bottle around here :mad: I tell to whomever looking for a gift for me to go out and buy Lagavulin. The late Michael Jackson (Beer and spirits critic, not the child-molesting freak) gave it almost a perfect score and Scotch noobs bought them having persuaded by men's magazines from GQ to FHM that noted it as a must have in a man's liquor cabinet, driving up the price.

We have several Trader Joes in the vicinity but none carries alcohol :mad::mad:

Have not tried Caol Ila but have had a bottle of Bunnahabhain, from the neighboring distillery, more than a decade ago. It was my first Islay and I came to realize afterwards that it was much lighter than the rest of Islays.

·
39,248 Posts
$75 a bottle around here :mad: I tell to whomever looking for a gift for me to go out and buy Lagavulin. The late Michael Jackson (Beer and spirits critic, not the child-molesting freak) gave it almost a perfect score and Scotch noobs bought them having persuaded by men's magazines from GQ to FHM that noted it as a must have in a man's liquor cabinet, driving up the price.

We have several Trader Joes in the vicinity but none carries alcohol :mad::mad:

Have not tried Caol Ila but have had a bottle of Bunnahabhain, from the neighboring distillery, more than a decade ago. It was my first Islay and I came to realize afterwards that it was much lighter than the rest of Islays.
$ 59.99 these guys are in New Haven, CT GRAND VIN Wine & Spirits Lagavulin Scotch Single Malt 16 Yr. [email protected]

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Having just read the thread through, I must admit it is, to my knowledge, the first in BenzWorld history of more than one page in which there are no disagreements, no shill "callings-out", no flames whatsoever, not even an ember.

I think we're all drunk.

·
Registered
21,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Having just read the thread through, I must admit it is, to my knowledge, the first in BenzWorld history of more than one page in which there are no disagreements, no shill "callings-out", no flames whatsoever, not even an ember.

I think we're all drunk.
I wish you hadn't pointed that out...

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I once licked Bushmills off the warehouse floor at Bushmills, quite a big puddle it were.
PS
No dogs were in the building.
Hic

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Yum, yum,
No it was a malt,
I am quite sure,
though that might have the floor cleaner coming through on the palete

21 - 40 of 61 Posts