Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Always Remembered, RIP
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I am THIS close to buying a mint 1992 500E. Talbir, anything special I should look for on a pre-purchase inspection for a W124 body?

Now all I need is an AMG widebody, and a new brain to hold all the technical knowledge required, and I'll be all set!

Bruce

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
brucemendel said:
...I am THIS close to buying a mint 1992 500E. Talbir, anything special I should look for on a pre-purchase inspection for a W124 body?

Now all I need is an AMG widebody, and a new brain to hold all the technical knowledge required, and I'll be all set!

Bruce

Bruce, there's a 500E/E500(w124) site dedicated to the 124.036. Its at www.500e.com

The members there have plenty of knowledge on this topic and will help you answer your questions. Lots of familar names are there.. even Talbir.

·
Premium Member
Tribute 500SEC AMG Widebody
6,242 Posts
500E/Widebody

brucemendel said:

Bruce

500e or 500ecstacy is a great source as Snibble pointed out.

One common issue with the W124 V8 is the wiring harness often fails and requires replacing. Also check the SLS as with any SLS Benz.

This has been posted on the forum before but...if you have the $,
here are a couple of wide body SEC's:

http://www.google.com/translate?u=h...current/all.html&langpair=ja|en&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Good luck and post of pict of your stable once the recently purchased 89 arrives, if it hasn't already.

Ciao.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Bruce

Thanks for the flattering comments !!

500E's - THE best cars on the planet in my view ! I used to think the w126's were king until I bought my silver 500E.....and ended up buying another black 500E 18 months later ! Some pics below of my honey's !

Not much to go wrong with these cars. Mine have cost me nothing in terms of essential repair (touch wood)...but key issues :

- wiring harness : lift the air filter housing and check for cracks/brittleness in the wiring harness

- rough idle : very hard to diagnose if it's there and a step-by-step process to find, i.e. big dollars of labour. All 500E engines are LH M119's not CIS....so are more complex in terms of electronics and modules are VERY expensive. Stay away from anything flashing it's ASR or ABS light.....

- air con : bad compressor is big bucks

- ride quality : check that ride and cornering is nice and tight

The suspension of the 500E is bespoke and parts for this car are very expensive, simply because it's a limited and hand-built model.

Take the fog light lenses for example - they cost 40gbp each. Compare that to an SEC fog light lense (which is twice the size) but costs 10gbp each !!!

Headlight lenses are also expensive. Front and rear bumpers are astronomical prices as are the sexy front and rear fenders.....make sure there is not serious damage to bumpers and check for rust on front fenders near the turn signals.

Transmission is key too - 500E tranny's have a different valve body which is 750 gbp on it's own. Make sure it's shifting nicely through all the gears at all speeds.

But these cars are so tough and due to their high prices (relative to standard W124's) have generally been in the right hands. So hard to find one which is a pig...they are absolute tanks !

For me, they have it all. Speed of a Porsche, luxury of an S-class and day-to-day practicality of an E class. The perfect car....good luck in your search.

There is the E60 Limited as well - 6.0 AMG version ! Only 125 or so made.....0-60 in 5.2 seconds (oficial time) !!! The Creme-de-la-creme.........!!!

talbir

Attachments

·
Always Remembered, RIP
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Talbir, will keep an eye out for that stuff.

I had a 1992 500E before, but this was when I knew nothing about MBs (even less than I do now!). The kickdown switch was broken, I found out later, but at the time I just thought it was sluggish and not quick at all, so I sold it. Duh, Bruce. :)

48HP, thanks for that link, I know those widebodies. They are beautiful and expensive. I am actively bidding on a 1991 AMG widebody 6.0 DOHC, also in Japan, in near-flawless condition with 17K original miles. But they want the moon for it, so we'll see what happens.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Renntech did make a 475 bhp, 6 litre 500E - here's one for sale :

http://rufautocentre.com/usedcars/car024.asp

But this car is quite unique - Renntech bumpers, seats, dash, etc etc.....the car is SIMPLY AWESOME !!!!

All you need is $USD 65k and it's yours !!!

talbir

·
Always Remembered, RIP
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
talbir said:
Renntech did make a 475 bhp, 6 litre 500E - here's one for sale :

http://rufautocentre.com/usedcars/car024.asp

But this car is quite unique - Renntech bumpers, seats, dash, etc etc.....the car is SIMPLY AWESOME !!!!

All you need is $USD 65k and it's yours !!!

talbir
Talbir, I think your 500E's look meaner. And to do a car like that in "baby blue" seems a shame to me. What is with the front seats....are they slipcovered? It's a great car, though, and with 28K miles, you have a long way to run still.

However, I had a 6.0 DOHC that was converted back to a SOHC by Renntech due to poor reliability of the DOHC heads. The cost for that conversion back to SOHC heads was $19,000 USD!!!. So I worry a bit about maintenance costs should something break in the custom-made engine. Would hate to spend $65K for the car and then $30K for an overhaul when it throws an unobtanium connecting rod, you know? And with Renntech, that kind of cost does not seem too farfetched.

Bruce

·
Registered
Smoke Silver '87 560SEC, Black Pearl '87 560SEL
4,583 Posts
Barry Taylor has a standard E60 for sale as well as a station wagon version E60. Both are monster cars!!

·
Always Remembered, RIP
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mramay said:
Barry Taylor has a standard E60 for sale as well as a station wagon version E60. Both are monster cars!!
Any pics, prices, etc? Would love to see them.

Bruce

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
864 Posts
Talibar can u tell me where u got those black rims for your 500E (the silver one) I really like them :) your cars look killer.

·
Always Remembered, RIP
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oallelsefailo said:
Talibar can u tell me where u got those black rims for your 500E (the silver one) I really like them :) your cars look killer.
I assume he got them in the UK, but they are AMG Aero I wheels, with spoke faces painted body color. They pop up every now and again on ebay, and I have a set on the way to me from Japan. Pricey though.

Bruce

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
864 Posts
Ah i see... dang!! i like them! they look so nice.

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
oallelsefailo said:

The black wheels on the silver car are Brabus III's. I think they are 3-piece units. Very rare to find in that size.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Bruce and Snibble are right - 17" AMG Aero I's on the black 500E and 18" multi-piece staggered Brabus Monoblock III's on the silver 500E.

The AMG Aero's are tough to get...but the Brabus Mono III's are now becoming as rare as hen's teeth. A few around in 19"/20" etc but not in sensible 17's & 18's.

talbir

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
makes me want to sell the house (or rent it out for a while at least)
http://www.rakuten.co.jp/garagecurrent/465585/880890/

this also explains the "AMG" Mitsi i saw on a auction site down here and a car I had driving in front of me:

"During the '80's car buyers in Japan were major customers of AMG, and other high performance car builders. Remember this was during the height of the economic power, when the Japanese were buying buildings, artwork and other "trophy" items around the world. They were matched only by the OPEC countries in their quest for custom cars and during this time, coachbuilding firms flourished, producing Gullwing SELs, Cabrio everythings and the like. There appears to have been a time when the AMG logo was licensed or used by Mitsubishi tuners in Japan, as I recall seeing a factory catalog with JDM AMG vehicles."

·
Registered
03 ML500, 94 CADILLAC DEVILLE CONCOURS, 350ZR
975 Posts
Talbir your look much better than that Renntech. The interior is so ...... cant find a word.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts