Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1979 240D 4 spd
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - What is the washer used on the oil drain plug? Passed 2 filters I've bought haven't come with this washer. I want to replace it when I do my oil tmo. Thank ya!

·
Banned
2003 Mercedes S430
806 Posts
It is a copper washer. Don't use the ones that you buy off the shelf, order them from a MB parts supplier or dealer. You can reuse them more than a few times if the drain plug is torqued properly and the wash is not chewed up.

Also, buy a new drain plug to keep everything nice and neat.

·
Registered
1979 240D 4 spd
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know the size? Isn't a copper washer a copper washer... why shouldn't I get it from a hardware store? It just seems convenient.

·
Registered
1983 240D, 1974 240D
501 Posts
you should put one of these in! :D:D

Ive used hardware store copper washers, they worked fine. Where are you getting the filters? Everytime I buy a filter from advanced or autozone, I get spare washers with my filter, but sometimes not from NAPA.

The stock drain plug is 12mm with a 1.5 thread pitch on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1979 240D 4 spd
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
drop - I ordered one off the internet and the other from NAPA, neither came with an extra washer. What'd you end up picking up for washer substitutes at the hardware store? Also - is that piece you installed just a valve that can be actuated when you want to drain your oil pan? What'd you end up using for that? Is it a simple part you can grab at a hardware store?

Thank ya!

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
This top one: QuickOilDrainValve.com - the best way to change oil may be the one drop mentions.

The pics are of a Mann filter I have awaiting the next oil change. NAPA has one, but without the seal ring, I believe the dealer is the same.
Mann filters, Mahle and Hengst too, have at least in the past, always come with seal rings.

Seems to be a 12 x 17 mm.

Any copper or aluminum will be fine, just make sure the ID is 12mm.

Attachments

·
Banned
2003 Mercedes S430
806 Posts
As a dealer who operates a repair facility as well, I've seen three or four engines damaged due to those "convenient" oil drain mechanisms. The problem is that they leak and run the engine oil low, or you bump them driving over something and snap them off.

They are not recommended, period. End of story.

The copper washers that you buy at the hardware store are too thin to effectively seal the drain plug and you'll never be able to reuse them.

Buy the right parts.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I buy my oil filters from AutohausAZ, 3-4 at a time for a year's supply. They all come with the drain plug washer, and the large rubber gasket for the oil filter housing cover.

Also get the two smaller rubber O-rings for the stalk mounted inside the oil filter housing cover. If the drain plug is suspect, get a new one too. Cheap enough.

3-4 oil filter kits plus other parts you found out you need is sufficient to get you to $50 which at that site, gets you free ground UPS shipping.

·
Registered
1983 240D, 1974 240D
501 Posts
As a dealer who operates a repair facility as well, I've seen three or four engines damaged due to those "convenient" oil drain mechanisms. The problem is that they leak and run the engine oil low, or you bump them driving over something and snap them off.

They are not recommended, period. End of story.

The copper washers that you buy at the hardware store are too thin to effectively seal the drain plug and you'll never be able to reuse them.

Buy the right parts.
hasn't leaked yet, but you are correct, there is additional risk if I bottom out of knocking it off. With a skid plate, won't be a problem. I will have one eventually.

These things are on a lot of FAR more expensive industrial motor applications, and fleet service vehicles like buses and semi's. So far, the sheer convenience of it had made it worth it to me.

Lots of stuff is not reccommended by MB, and yet work perfectly well. The ball valves can seep slowly, but in my experience, no more than the drain plug itself, or the host of other leaks on the car. So far, this one has not leaked a drop of oil.

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
I've had one of the Fumoto drain valves on my 240D for about 20 years with no issues. It's almost impossible for it to open accidentally. I think it would be hard to bottom out and damage it too, but I'd have to take a closer look on that issue.

See QuickOilDrainValve.com - the best way to change oil

1 - 13 of 13 Posts