Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
German Stuff
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 C280 with Bose system. Stock HU, amp, and speakers for the time being.

Should've been quick and easy. I pulled the rear deck 4" drivers completely, they didn't sound too good anyway. I used their wiring as the source for the wiring to the amp for the sub. It's an Alpine amp and a 12" Boston Acoustics sub. I love the set up, I've used it in a few other cars with great enjoyment.

Problem: sub sounds like trash. I thought using the stock "subwoofer" wiring would get me reasonable enough results as it has on other cars in the past. I have almost NO very low frequencies at all, I have a feeling the stock amp just doesn't send very low frequencies to the stock "subwoofers". When I turn up the gain and/or bump the crossover up a bit it just sounds muddy and boomy. Ick.

Background: I'm used to dealing with BMWs and their crap DSP systems which send a balanced 5v signal from the HU to the amp, making it basically impossible to just tap into the amp input for a full range signal. Hence I tapped into an output line, which apparently has a very narrow signal.

Question: Is the Bose system the same with the balanced wiring crap or does it send a standard signal that I can tap into PRE-amplifier? If so, does anyone have a wiring diagram showing a pair of wires I can use for it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,836 Posts
I have done what you did in my 1998 C230 with a 1000 watt amp and in my 1998 ML320 with Bose and a 800 watt amp. On both vehicles I used the wires from the stock subs as input to my amps. I got great results with both vehicles. The thing you need to be sure of is the polarity (+, -) of the input wires as you may have them backwards on one and it will cancel out the sound on the speakers in the sub box. As one speaker will be pushing while the other is pulling, instead of them pushing and pulling at the same time. Also be sure you have a good very ground to the amp.

·
Registered
German Stuff
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply RD. I did double check polarity when I installed but I'll double check again. It's only one 12" sub, but I'm using a 2ch LOC and 2 ch amp bridged and have tapped both left and right sides.

The ground is good, I'm running 4ga power and ground wires, and it's grounded at the same spot the battery is grounded to.

Any ideas on wiring diagrams for the stock Bose system or if it runs a standard signal from HU to amp?

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,836 Posts
Thanks for the reply RD. I did double check polarity when I installed but I'll double check again. It's only one 12" sub, but I'm using a 2ch LOC and 2 ch amp bridged and have tapped both left and right sides.

The ground is good, I'm running 4ga power and ground wires, and it's grounded at the same spot the battery is grounded to.

Any ideas on wiring diagrams for the stock Bose system or if it runs a standard signal from HU to amp?
I don't know about the diagram but I used the wires that were at the speakers after the Bose amp. The Bose amp does not put out much power.

·
Registered
German Stuff
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, that's why I'm hoping to tap before the amp, but I need to know which wires are which.

·
Registered
German Stuff
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bump.....again. No one has a wiring diagram / schematic for the Bose system?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts