Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1998 C280; 1987 560SL
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At some point in my life windshield wiper changes went from changing the rubber blade to changing the whole wiper assembly. In fact, the refills are not even available at most auto parts stores or department stores.

My car came with the standard wiper assembly replacements (black) and the original stainless steel ones were probably trashed. I think it looks bad, maybe just because I know it's wrong. The problem is the cheapest price on ebay is $100+ and up.

I saw a post where Rowdie suggested that the new wiper assemblies could be painted. So I tried it, and the results are below. You have to be within a couple of feet to tell. The cost was a little over $15 including the paint. Not sure what the durability will be, but I am happy with the result. I don't plan to drive it in the rain, but I'm ready if a shower finds me.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Z4 3.0Si
332 Posts
I’ve been trying to track down silver wiper arms myself but paint is an interesting option. I’m assuming you just rattle canned them...also wonder about durability. I’m surprised that none of the collector car parts companies makes these!

·
Registered
1998 C280; 1987 560SL
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes...bought the paint at Walmart. "Rustoleum Metallic" rattle can paint/Michelin High Performance Wipers. Took the blades out. They have a stop slot in the bottom of the blade...used pliers to squeeze the rubber and release the blade by pushing down and pulling it out through the bottom. Took several coats/positions to paint them, but the paint drys in 30 minutes or less. Took a couple of hours total.

I will evaluate the durability and see how they look when the blades need changing. My car will be lucky to go a thousand miles a year and it lives in the garage. If I find a set of real ones at a pull a part, I might buy them, but not at ebay prices.:eek

·
Registered
2006 Z4 3.0Si
332 Posts

·
Registered
50 years of MB
4,944 Posts
The originals dont have holes in them. But silver paint looks way better than black!

·
Registered
1972 220 D, 1974 450SL, 1995 E300D 2002 S430, 1976 300D, 1986 SDL, 1982 SD
2,711 Posts
I go lucky a few years ago. I was at PnP and came across an SLC that was mostly rotted away and the PO had painted the whole car white, including the wipers. Those were about the only truly salvageable parts off the car. The things looked vile, but paint stripper was able to do the trick. Toothpicks got all the nasty off. I am happy to report that they went to somebody who has put his SL back the way it was meant to be.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
4,111 Posts
I just put a new set of RainX wiper blades on my '83... they are far from optimal in the looks category but I have to admit, they do work great.

Take a look, could they have made the connection to the control arm any more obtrusive? I guess they needed the room to put their name on them.

Vehicle door

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
34,370 Posts
So I'm an idiot.

When I first bought The PIG the wipers were brutal. Big shmears.

So off I went to Canadian Tire and I bought new black blades....tossed the OEM stainless in the garbage.
What did I know??
Apparently very little.

2 years later I went searching for replacements and got a pair off a member that was dismantling a 107.
All is good again and the dealer still sells the rubber inserts.

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1493194-wiper-blades.html

·
Registered
86 560SL
1,243 Posts
I didn’t pay attention to the wipers when I bought my car. Heck I was ignorant to many things that pertain to the R107 and probably still am today. However, the more I looked at the silver wiper arms and black wiper blades the more it bothered me. After occasionally looking on Craigslist I was able to buy an original set.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
4,111 Posts
If I knew then what I know now... the wiper blades I just removed from my '83 are black but they are Bosh. That means that they either came new on the car or I foolishly replaced my original SS blades with cheaper black replacements.

If you look close enough you can see the wipers blades I just replaced were Bosh but they were black. I wonder if I could sand blast them and Chrome or Nickel plate them? Maybe chrome powder coat.

Windscreen wiper Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Automotive window part
Windscreen wiper Windshield Bumper Automotive window part Automotive exterior

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.