Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
This website was really helpful 2 months ago when I bought my wife a W164.
Now I'm shopping around for a vintage Mercedes, and have narrowed it down to a '64 or '65 SL or a '55-'60 220s cabriolet.

While searching for places that restore/sell older Mercedes, I came across a place called Silver Start Restorations in NC. The gentleman who answered the phone seemed like a knowledgeable and honest old timer (like me).

I'm soliciting for advice/opinions about this shop with regard to helping me find a car and for doing minor restoration once I do acquire a vehicle.

BTW, yes I know there are many fine restoration shops up here near Boston. But, it's likely the car I buy will not be from NE, and since I'll have to get it trucked home anyway, why not drop it off at a good restoration shop for any needed work.

Well. Thanks in advance for any advice, and if you know of a clean, decent, non-show quality 220s cabrio for sale ... let me know.

John Feng

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
190SL Services did my 60 190SL. Dave Polny is the owner. Great guy.
Worth a call. Does other Mercedes as well. Can help you find a good car.
Keep in mind restoring an old Benz is far from cheap.
190SLServices.com

·
Registered
1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
3,570 Posts
Silver Star has an excellent reputation. Also, MB Classic Center does restorations and they are supposed to be inline with market prices; a car restored by MB Classic may end up having more value than a car that was done privately (depending on the restorer).

If it was my choice, I'd shoot for the 220s Cab way before the SL. You can find nice SLs anywhere, but the 220s Cabs are much more difficult. And since the restoration on both is going to cost a lot of money, you might as well start with the rarest, most valuable car you can find.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your best bet will always to buy the best restored car you can find but, DOCUMENTED.
The 190SL is expensive to restore the larger 220s benz will be more than double the cost.
I have a 70 280se Cabriolet and it is a nice driver but to restore it would cost over $200K.
The Classic center does great work but will be expensive.
All these cars have rust issues thats what you want to have fixed. The chrome alone on my 60 190SL cost over $20,000.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.