Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
02 SL500 SA, 03 Mercury Marauder, 89 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Silver arrow has plenty of polished aluminum trim. When I took the hard top off I noticed all the thick aluminum around the deck lid and along the top of the quarters needs to be cleaned. It has residue from the top.

I do not want to ruin the shiny finish. What works great?

Thanks,
Jay

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
Brasso works for me...

·
Undercover Moderator
2002 SL BRABUS 5.8 Silver Arrow; 1992 SL BRABUS B11; 1996 S Class diplomat ride
5,331 Posts
Don't ask me why.... But it work really good on all aluminum trim.... (Meguiars Plastx Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish).....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anodized or polished ? Silver Arrow trim

I started another post about cleaning what I assumed was polished aluminum but perhaps it is anodized?

There is a large piece that goes around the rear edge of the passenger compartment that the hard top normally sits on. It needs the most work.

Plus the other trim pieces like on the fenders, teck lid, roof etc.

How can you tell if they are polished or anodized?

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
2001 SL500 Silver Arrow
22 Posts
Its an anodised type finish on stainless steel - if you polish it too hard you will end up with high gloss patches in which case you may as well polish the whole thing, which may or may not look good and certainly won't be original.

Mine too had residue marks from the soft and hard top seals and some deeper marks caused when the previous owner was careless installing the hard top. The residue marks came out fine by using a very fine polish (Autoglym SRP here in the UK), the deeper marks I will have to live with.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a follow up. I used "nevr-dull" a petroleum spirits based soft cleaning polish that comes with cotton wadding. It looks much much better now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts