Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1991 350SD - Factory Rebuild
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I found a sedan, in great shape (don't have any photos yet), the color looks like photo below. I always wanted a dark color, business sedan, but this car is in such good shape, I want to buy it. Too effeminate or "creative" for a man? Any opinions?

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
if its in good shape i wouldn't discount it for the color only. But, many red cars i have seen are prone to paint fade.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly correct, the owner told me it needs to be compounded and waxed to get the color back, (I don't have photos yet), it also has Signal Red on the "Plastic Parts" on the bottom of the doors, bumpers, etc (not sure what those parts are called). Does that stuff come back with compound and waxing too?

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG
803 Posts
Ha, I've never heard or thought of red being a girls car color, but I guess its all in your preferences and self securities. I own a dark purple ext. over purple int. BMW (oem), and even that doesn't make me feel insecure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks BADwayz, I'm not as brave as you are, (I'm kind of boring). Having a red car will be pretty adventurous for me.

·
Registered
1979 450SL; 1973 280SE 4.5; 1986 420 SEL(SOLD)
340 Posts
My daily driver is a red 2004 Jaguar XJ8. Gets lots of compliments and nothing girlie about it that i can see.

·
Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,282 Posts
Exactly correct, the owner told me it needs to be compounded and waxed to get the color back, (I don't have photos yet), it also has Signal Red on the "Plastic Parts" on the bottom of the doors, bumpers, etc (not sure what those parts are called). Does that stuff come back with compound and waxing too?

Thank you for your help!
Plastic parts aren't 568-Signal Red...probably 3526 "Tartanrot.
Starting in 1989 MB tried to almost color match the cladding to the body...did it for a few years until they truly color matched.
It's all paint so it can be cut and polished...

Signal Red is far from "feminine"...very popular SL color and rarer on the 124 and 126 variants.
Using your logic then Ferrari's would be "feminine" ????

I'm partial, bought a signal red C124 new in 1988 and still own it !!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fantastic response! Thank you for the info.

I understand red for sports cars, and I am probably going to have a red diesel sedan. I might want to paint it shiny business-black some day. Looks like I can paint the whole car including trim.

Probably has red on the inside parts though.

(heck, maybe I'll like the red :) )

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,102 Posts
Lol. Nah the reds really nice and a bit different. Suits the coupe. Looks a nice car. Red is always prone to fade. The cladding is done with matting agent in the paint though i believe, so its meant to stay matt sheen. (i ended up buffing my cladding hard to a gloss sheen though and i prefer it like that. So it can be done if you want. )

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
I agree with the guys, nothing fem about red. Of course, there will always be some neanderthal homophobe out there who may look at you funny, but that's there ignorant ass problem..lol.

Keep in mind that red does give a certain impression. It usually shouts out "I'm a sporty guy and I like speed & power"..hence the reason the number one color for a first time Ferrari buyer is red. Nothing says "business" like a black MB, but like you said, you can always paint it later if it's that important to you..but if you don't think you will be able to afford a good paint job anytime soon and know in your heart the red will bother you..don't do it..there are too many W126's coming on the market daily..and this IS a buyers market so you won't be missing out if you pass on this red one -always easier to try to get what you want the first time and not have to deal with expensive paint jobs.

Just be prepared for attention..people always stare at a red MB since it's not a typical color you see on these cars, even on the coupes. It's also the number one color a cop looks for when scanning for speedsters. And if your straight and single, women love the color red too. ;)

Good luck!

·
Registered
1991 w126 420SEL, 1986 w126 Euro 560SEC (option 822), 2000 E55, 2003 E55, 2003 SL55
512 Posts
I have a signal red SEL and my mom loves it;) but they are right. It took a hell of a lot of work to bring the paint into order and it seems to take a lot to maintain from going pinkish. I am sure if I had the clear shot again it would be ok but its never the priority.
I think it looks great on the coupe.

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 350SD; 1987 300SDL; 1988 300E w/ original 5-Speed manual
14 Posts
Red Mercedes

The only two red Mercedes-Benz cars I've seen were both female-owned - one by a smoking-hot redhead at a very expensive private college, the other also a college student at Radcliffe. But I never thought of it as "feminine", just an unusual or rare color for that vehicle. I wouldn't not buy one just because of the color. It certainly does stand out though! That said, my CR-Z is red, as was my Olds 442 drag car.

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
The only two red Mercedes-Benz cars I've seen were both female-owned - one by a smoking-hot redhead at a very expensive private college, the other also a college student at Radcliffe. But I never thought of it as "feminine", just an unusual or rare color for that vehicle. I wouldn't not buy one just because of the color. It certainly does stand out though! That said, my CR-Z is red, as was my Olds 442 drag car.
You bought the new 2011 Honda CR-Z? Nice! Please post some pics if you can..and how do you like it, the way it handles, and the ride quality?

·
Registered
85 AMG 500SEC (Euro), 86 560SL, 73 450SLC, 92 500SEL, 98 S420, 2000 S430, 2001 S500 Designo
32 Posts
In my opinion the red color can look stunning. What you need to be aware of is that unless the car was repainted it would have clear coat on it. Once it fades out all the compound in the world won't bring it back. I'm speaking from experience. I bought a red 450SLC and took it to a professional detailer. They couldn't bring it back and I couldn't either. Needless to say it took a new paint job to bring it back.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts