Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
E-320
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello MBNZ members,

I just noticed that my passenger side E-320 side view mirror assembly is quite lose - seems someone brushed against this hard.
I see the spring is still intact but the whole assembly seems to be not quite like the one on the driver's side - it is wobly and can be easily folded in - seems like a clip or spring is faulty.
can you please hlep - everything works though - I mean the mirror can turn and canbe controlled from the swtich inside and positioned.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am hoping it is a DIY and I can do this myself.

Thanks,
saad12

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts

·
Registered
E-320
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your email.
The link you sent is 10 seconds worth of video and I couldn't understand much.
Is there more information on what could possibly be wrong with this - is the spring broken - if so how and where can I get a new spring ??
Thanks again.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,088 Posts
i believe you'll need to solve this with your eyeballs. after the mirror cover is
removed, you look into the innards of the mirror assembly to determine what
may have fractured or caused the spring tension to weaken. chances are
the spring mount is broken and you'll need to fabricate something with zip
ties or something.

·
Registered
E-320
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can someone pls explain what to do in the case of broken mount on the other end of the assembly where the spring is attached - I am not sure how to use a tie wrap or even wled it.
There is a little hook sort of a iece at the end of the assembly that has broken and there is nothing for the spring to hook against - any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Saad

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
necessity is

the mother of invention.Members have used twist ties,built up layer of jb weld to make an anchor point,like Ray said look around for any good point and secure it.sometimes there is a point that a new spring can be slipped over and assorted springs can be purchased at lowes or home base hardware.
ohlord:bowdown:
go to one of our forum members site that he built and search for side view mirror repair w210 or E320
at EverythingBenz - Mercedes-Benz Forum and Web Search Using Google

·
Registered
1999 MB E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash 135K
242 Posts
W210 side view mirror repair

saad12

Hope this isn't too late, but I repaired a similar problem on my 99E320 using the following directions courtesy of nhdoc on mercedesshop:

W210 Side View Mirror Spring Failure - I fixed one! - ShopForum

I did not have to remove the whole assembly to repair mine, only the sleeve. That made it easier overall but harder getting the screw in just the right position. Another helpful tip is to use a machine screw that is at least 1 inch, preferably 1.25 or 1.5 inch. This is because the hardest part of the job was stretching the spring back over the screw and the longer the screw the easier to get the spring over it. Then you just walk it down the screw as you tighten the nut. The length of the screw doesn't matter b/c you will have to cut it to length afterward to get the sleeve back over it. After it was all tightened down, I coated the nut, washers and everything with Gorilla glue and let dry. Then replaced the sleeve. Total parts cost was $8.00 b/c I had to buy a $5 cutting disk for my drill to cut the screw.

Good luck.

EBenz

·
Registered
E-320
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks EBenz for the helpful post

Thanks so much
I just did the fix through the tie wrap for now and it seems to be holding in place, though not of the same tension as earlier.
I am tempted to try out your solution as it looks like a solid fix.
All I need is #8 1 inch screw and 2 #8 nuts and 2 #8 wshes right ?
Would I need to take out the mirror also to mount this screw in place of the earlier piece that has now snapped.
So I guess I just need to remove the cover and the mirror BUT not the entire housing from the door - correct.
Once thing I noticed after I did the tie wrap fix was that the cover didn't automatcally sort of snap in place with a click , I had to guide it to snap using the flat head screw driver, maybe the reason being that the tie wrap end might be touchng against the cover when sliding in.
Would appreciate if you can send me detailed instructions on the screw procedure as I am not a member of the other forum you sent a link for.

·
Registered
1999 MB E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash 135K
242 Posts
Mirror Fix

I thought you could just click on the link above without requiring membership as I'm not a member of that forum either. Anyway, I have pasted the detailed instructions below and again all credit for the fix goes to someone named Marty D (aka - nhdoc) on the mercedesshop forum.

I didn't take anything off except the sleeve (plastic cover). I started to try and take the mirror off but realized I could possibly create a bigger problem requiring a lot more money. That's why it was sort of difficult to get the screw positioned properly b/c I could only work on it from one side. If you feel confident that you can remove and replace the mirror without breaking it, the fix would probably be easier. Personally I would only remove the mirror as a last resort.

I did only use 1- #8 machine screw (at least 1 inch long), 2 #8 nuts, and 2 #8 washers...plus the Gorilla glue and cutting wheel for my drill. Someone else who did the fix recommended the Gorilla glue as you have to cut the screw post pretty close to the forward nut to get the cover to slide back over and that helps hold everythng in place.

I don't know about the cover not going back on easily. It could have been the tie wrap b/c there isn't a lot of clearance between the cover and mirror housing. Mine snapped right back into place. It's a bailing wire that snaps over a couple of plastic tabs.

Good luck:)

EBenz

Here's the instructions
The passenger side mirror on my '98 E300 (W210) was flopping in the wind after I came a little too close to the oversized trash can in the garage last week and bumped it as I was pulling in. The spring snapped off of a hook which is molded into the pot metal frame and from what I understand this is VERY common and VERY expensive as it usually requires a whole new mirror assembly. Not to shy away from a challege I took on the task of coming up with a repair for this. I decided to document this process, unfortunately I did not take photos but will do my best to describe it in enough detail that those who are mechanically inclined will be able to do it as well.

First you need to pop the mirror-glass off of the adjuster platform. I started at the bottom and pulled up and it popped off, then the wires unplug for the heating element and you can set the mirror-glass aside.

I proceeded to disassemble the entire mirror assembly to get the metal frame out of the plastic housing (there is a wire bail that holds it in, just pry the ends up and the whole plastic housing slides off). Then you will see the area where the spring used to attach to the metal frame.

On mine the hook was bent back at 90 degrees. I snapped it off trying to straighten it out. It left a nice semi-circular channel in the frame which I was able to make a post assembly to reattach the spring to.

To follow my fix you will need one #8 X 1/2" machine screw, two #8 nuts and 2 #8 flat washers. First, take the machine screw and put the two washers on it and one nut to hold them on. Now, sandwich the semicricular channel with the washers and let the post of the machine screw protrude to the front of the mirror frame (as referenced by the front of the car, but the back of the mirror) and tighten the nut down until it is really tight. This makes the "post".

Then, take the second nut and loosely start it on the end of the machine screw. Now you can hook the spring between the two nuts and tighten the outer nut. I actually found it easier to remount the frame on the car, attach the spring first to the base of the frame (which is screwed to the car) and then stretch it to snap over the new post and then tighten down the outer nut. I tried to flex it back and forth several times and it held fine during all my tests...I think it is even stronger than the original design (what wouldn't be though?).

Once this is done, slip the plastic cover back on and it snaps into position and replace the mirror glass and viola, you are done and saved $400+!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hallo,
I have a one year old B classe. Yesterday I noticed that my entire Side mirror is Broken(I cant see if its really broken but it came out from its position). How can i put this back ?
br
era

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,088 Posts
Hallo,
I have a one year old B classe. Yesterday I noticed that my entire Side mirror is Broken(I cant see if its really broken but it came out from its position). How can i put this back ?
br
era
have you considered posting your query on the B-forum? you might have more
success amidst colleagues who have insight into the model.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts