Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I replaced all my amber bulbs with yellow(clear front bumper lenses too). Totally easy operation. One set remaining, the side mirror signal lights. Anyone know if the bulbs inside can be replaced, or are they special Mercedes-Benz LED's.

Thanx,
cmo

·
Registered
CLK430 Cabrio
188 Posts
The OEM bulbs are just small instrument lights with a wedge base. You can get type 2721 or 2723 bulbs that work for this at an auto parts store.

The clear bulbs:

I recently tried these in an effort to not have the amber bulb showing through when unlit, but was not happy with the results. The standard 2723 looked yellowish when lit. I would have been fine with white or amber, but not yellowish, and so I tried blue painted bulbs which were so dim as to not be visible in the light. So, I'm back to stock. I suppose I could go to LEDs, but haven't gone down that path yet.

Clear versus blue - in the dark

Clear versus blue - in the light

By the way, if anyone wants them, I'm looking to get rid of these spare side markers with both sets of bulbs for $25 shipped.

·
Registered
CLK 320
4 Posts
cmorley8 said:
I replaced all my amber bulbs with yellow(clear front bumper lenses too). Totally easy operation. One set remaining, the side mirror signal lights. Anyone know if the bulbs inside can be replaced, or are they special Mercedes-Benz LED's.

Thanx,
cmo
The side mirror bulbs can be replaced with #74 L.E.D.s. You will need a long #10 Torx wrench to remove the screws in the corners of the mirror. I replaced my ambers with Super Whites from autolumination.com

·
Registered
CLK 430 AMG
821 Posts
If I Ruled the World... said:
The side mirror bulbs can be replaced with #194 L.E.D.s. You will need a long #10 Torx wrench to remove the screws in the corners of the mirror. I replaced my ambers with Super Whites from autolumination.com
that shit looks hot, i wished i had the 01 vs the 99!!!

·
worst mod in BW history
ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
27,762 Posts
From MMGRAD:

Changing the Side Mirror Lights from Orange to White

HERE WE GO!!!

First, you'll need some tools and the bulbs. They are sylvania bulbs (available at PepBoys) model #2721 or #2723. Both will work. 2723 is a little bit brighter. You'll need between 3-6 packs to complete this job. Next, you'll need 2 torx screwdrivers. The proper size is #10. If you can, get a hold of a #9 also.

REMOVING THE MIRROR HOUSING:

There are four screws in total accessible from the mirror side. Use the controls to move the mirror away so it can be accessed easier. Use the #10 screwdriver to remove 3 screws, but use the #9 for the inside corner screw. Its hard to get the screwdriver in there, so a slightly smaller size head would work well.

The screws are basically located in each of the four corners. You will have to move the mirror everytime you remove 1 screw. For instance, move mirror to the inside, and to the top... then you can access the bottom right screw. Just follow that form to remove the other 3 screws.

After removing the screws, tug carefully until the outer lip of the mirror cover is out. Then, lift the outside housing UP then OUT... It won't come all the way off, but enough for you to work with the bulbs.

To change the bulbs, just use a small, flat screwdriver to pop the lights up. Don't try pulling the wires as you might break them. Simply pull those orange lights out, and put the new ones in.

Now, you can change all 6 bulbs per housing, but I recommend not to. I suggest you just change the 3 on the outside. Doing so will automatically shutoff the 3 on the inside (diff voltage). You can change all 6 per housing, and all 6 will light up, but it won't be as bright as if you only changed the outside 3. BUT, DO NOT REMOVE the 3 orange bulbs inside. Just leave them in place. Just change the outside 3.

And thats it. Just go backwards to put everything back. BUT, PLEASE TEST that everything works and all lights blink and flash appropriately before re-assembling the mirror housing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
w208 turn signal mirror blinkers

Yo ThillKill, I've found your posting on how to remove the turn signal blinkers and replacing the yellow to clear bulbs(Much Thanks), but a little confuse about what you said on just changing out the 3 bulbs outside and do not change the 3 inside... By changing the 3 bulbs inside, will that screw things up. I don't want any annoying error message poping up about defect lights, but got to have all lights white if possible.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does anyone know where to get LED replacement bulbs for all the lights inside the car? and for the rear liceson plate lights, i used superbrightleds.com for my last car, but i can't find any part numbers on the lights for the clk...any good sites you guys know of?

·
Registered
2002 430clk;2005 Yamaha YZF R1;08 Range Rover Sport
1,292 Posts
a lot of us use autolumination dot com

·
Registered
2009 ML 350 4Matic
80 Posts
On the w208, the door mirror turn signal bulbs; there are 6 orange bulbs in total in each mirror (3 along the reflector, and 3 in the back). I removed them and it seems the two sets (reflector and back) have ever so slightly different bulb numbers.

- OS 6/2Y w1M and
- OS 6/2Y w1N

I'm pretty sure the OS is "Osram Sylvania" (the brand of bulb)

Does anyone know the difference between these and how to get them?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.