Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML320 (Sold)
404 Posts
yes the hardware fits the same its just the wiring is different. What I did on my 1999 was put a 12 volt source on the new mirror wires and wrote down what each wire did ex. up/down, side/side, folding then I went to alldata and got the diagram for the 1999 wiring and spliced it together. As far as I know nobody has made a connector. Then you have to run the turn signal blinker on the new mirror to the side turn signal on the fender. Total cost around 1400.00 bucks. You might just want to get the side blinker thats for sale that retro-fits to your existing hardware alot cheaper.

Attachments

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
24,962 Posts
Nothing personal, but I do not like the MY2002+ side mirrors at all! They are smaller than the pre-2002 mirrors and closer to the vehicle which makes them much less useful. When you look at the passenger side mirror, even when properly adjusted, about 20% of it is looking down the side of your own truck and not at traffic beside you. I like my big extra-wide mirrors much better (but of course I have the power fold feature so they don’t get whacked going in and out of the garage).

If you like them for the turn signal, you can get aftermarket skins for the pre-2002 mirrors that have that feature.

·
Registered
1999 ML320 (Sold)
404 Posts
I'm parting out some of the mods I did anyone interested in the 2002 mirrors I have make me an offer. Paid 1200.00 for both.

Also MCS and CD navigation drive for sale. Will Sell MCS and Navigation drive seperatly if interested. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,
I have a similar issue and didn't want to start a new thread but still looking for answers! My 99 ML320 has a broken mirror mechanism and I managed to but 2 of the upgraded mirrors with the indicator light for less than the cost of a second hand mirror! I appreciate that the wiring is different mine being 7 coloured wires and the upgrade mirrors being all black which isn't very helpful. I know I will need additional wires from the side indicators but my question is: Does anyone have a diagram or breakdown of what the functions of the upgraded all black wiring is corresponding to the positions in the connector? I have found the 99ML one on the forum. I noted that some people used trial and error hooking the new mirror up to a 12v source but if I end up having to do that should it have a maximum amperage as I don't want to connect it to a spare battery and fry it! And how do I determine which is the power wire?
This is a fantastic forum which has helped and saved me a fortune in the past so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
John

·
Registered
2002 ml55
663 Posts
Just completing this thread with the pinouts / wiring connections for this retrofit using the information provided by @Alex L in this post (copied and formatted below):

prefacelift to facelift mirrors wiring
OK not to multiply threads, i will add the wiring information here.
mine originally were MY99 mirrors with the following functions:

1. Folding
brown # H
yellow # G

2. Mirror adjustments (to use with power lead [black # E])
Up/down green
Left/Right White

3. Heating
Blue # A
Blue # B

the facelift mirror has different type of connector and all wires are black so b4 cutting mark them with tags.

the leads are (in gaps are corresponding terminals for prefacelift mirrors):
1 - heating (= blue # A)
2 - heating (=blue # B)
4 - power (=black # E)
3 - mirror goes sides (=white wire)
5 - mirror goes up/down (=green wire)
6 - blinker ( "+" from your side wing indicator)
7 - blinker ( "-" from your side wing indicator)
8 - dimming ("+") my old mirrors didn't have this option so can't say anything here
9 - dimming ("-") my old mirrors didn't have this option so can't say anything here
15 - folding (=yellow # G)
16 - folding (=brown # H)

few notes.
when i wired and fitted everything, i found out the the passanger mirror (mine is UK RHD so your driver's) will fold/unfold contrary to the driver's one (your passanger).
simply swap the contacts 15 and 16 of your connector (the one that works not well) and you wil be fine.

disclaimer

all above was right for my ML and may not work for yours due to differences in vehicles supplied in different countries. the best way round is to get 12V DC adaptor and apply power to connectors of your mirrors and see how they behave. this was what i've done. good luck!

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
13,511 Posts
@amgdvl
Presuming this will be part of updated stickies.....
:)

Reactions: amgdvl

·
Registered
1998 Franken-ML, 2002 ML55
828 Posts
Just completing this thread with the pinouts / wiring connections for this retrofit using the information provided by @Alex L in this post (copied and formatted below):

prefacelift to facelift mirrors wiring
OK not to multiply threads, i will add the wiring information here.
mine originally were MY99 mirrors with the following functions:

1. Folding
brown # H
yellow # G

2. Mirror adjustments (to use with power lead [black # E])
Up/down green
Left/Right White

3. Heating
Blue # A
Blue # B

the facelift mirror has different type of connector and all wires are black so b4 cutting mark them with tags.

the leads are (in gaps are corresponding terminals for prefacelift mirrors):
1 - heating (= blue # A)
2 - heating (=blue # B)
4 - power (=black # E)
3 - mirror goes sides (=white wire)
5 - mirror goes up/down (=green wire)
6 - blinker ( "+" from your side wing indicator)
7 - blinker ( "-" from your side wing indicator)
8 - dimming ("+") my old mirrors didn't have this option so can't say anything here
9 - dimming ("-") my old mirrors didn't have this option so can't say anything here
15 - folding (=yellow # G)
16 - folding (=brown # H)

few notes.
when i wired and fitted everything, i found out the the passanger mirror (mine is UK RHD so your driver's) will fold/unfold contrary to the driver's one (your passanger).
simply swap the contacts 15 and 16 of your connector (the one that works not well) and you wil be fine.

disclaimer

all above was right for my ML and may not work for yours due to differences in vehicles supplied in different countries. the best way round is to get 12V DC adaptor and apply power to connectors of your mirrors and see how they behave. this was what i've done. good luck!
For reference, every auto-dimming rear-view mirror I’ve run across uses the same voltage signal to trigger/power the outside auto-dimming mirror, if equipped. I haven’t tested every single model or manufacturer out there (there aren’t that many manufacturers: Gentex (good), Donnelly (bad), and maybe a few others), but the ones I have all were within a few hundredths of each other on the test bench.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I think I have the pinout for the facelift mirrors at home. I’ll try to remember to look later.
Thank you @amgdvl - obviously I did not remember to post that.

I'm adding my complete notes here on my crazy wiring shenanigans involving side-view mirrors. I'm converting my front doors to use the facelift-style door connectors and mirror harnesses to get some extra functionality through without having to do some less elegant hacking, so I did a pretty thorough comparison of the mirror pinouts. I have everything marked by the pin bay number or letter on the connector and color.

If I had to guess, the 2002-05 motors with the memory sensor potentiometers could likely be swapped into the 1998-01 housings if you were also installing the memory seats to gain memory functionality with the greater field of view of the earlier mirrors. I have not purchased any facelift mirrors to check this out, but I know that the seats are the same except that the motors have a couple of extra wires. The seat position memory is stored in the module under each seat. I'm almost certain you would also need to convert to the 2002-05 window/mirror multi-switch unit, as all of the mirror memory wires run into it, and then send one signal wire out to the seat module. It's computerized and vastly more complicated than the mostly electromechanical 1998-2001 unit. I'm upgrading to that switch and console panel anyway, I may give it a try.

1998-2001 folding auto-dimming mirror connector:
Pin 1: mirror heater power (red)
Pin 2: mirror heater ground (light brown)
Pin 3: up/down adjustment motor (white)
Pin 4: both adjustment motors (blue)
Pin 5: in/out adjustment motor (orange)
Pin 6: auto-dimming (green)
Pin 7: folding motor (blue)
Pin 8: folding motor (green)
Pin 9: auto-dimming (gray)

2002-2005 folding auto-dimming mirror connectors:
A1: mirror heater power (red)
A2: mirror heater ground (brown)
A3: up/down adjustment motor (white)
A4: both adjustment motors (blue)
A5: in/out adjustment motor (orange?)
A6: turn signal power (green)
A7: turn signal ground (brown)
A8: auto-dimming (gray)

B1: auto-dimming (green)
B2:
B3: adjustment potentiometer ends (red) (memory)*
B4: mirror in/out potentiometer wiper (green) (memory)*
B5: mirror up/down potentiometer wiper (white) (memory)*
B6: adjustment potentiometer ends (brown) (memory)*
B7: folding motor (gray)
B8: folding motor (blue)

·
Registered
828 Posts
Well, I got a good look at a facelift mirror with the cover and glass off this weekend. For some reason, they used a very different motor assembly, so it looks like getting memory functionality in the early housings will be more complicated, if it is possible at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.