Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Green '02 E320 Wagon
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently replaced the motor and mirror for my passenger side mirror on my 2002 E320 4 matic wagon (because I hit a mailbox, oops). When I put the car in reverse with the passenger mirror selected, it no longer goes automatically all the way down. Instead, it goes all the way IN to the left.

Do I need to recalibrate it somehow? No, I didn't mount it 90 degrees wrong. The control stick moves it up/down/left/right perfectly.

Also, for the two heat wires going to the mirror, does it matter which connects to which post? They're both black, so I don't know if one is + and one is -. Thanks.

·
Registered
Green '02 E320 Wagon
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, nobody knows. Would a service manual contain this "recalibration" info? If so, which?

Where else could I get this info? I could try asking the dealership, but they'll probably give me crap that I should have just let them do the work. But it's so much fun to fix these (supposedly) simple problems.

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,844 Posts
OK since nobody knows the issue, I'll give it a try.
Never worked on side mirrors on Mercedes, but spend quite some time retrofitting my motorhome with remote mirrors.
In my opinion you crossed some wires somewhere. The mirrors usually use 3 wires for operating 2 motors, so it can be quite confusing.
Go back to wiring and try to switch the wires, if you don't have a picture of original wiring.
On the side note, I have the lowering option with reverse disabled. Those mechanism are not famous for long life.
The heating element is not connected to the "mass" in any way, so it doesn't matter if you cross those wires.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I would try what Raymond suggested first. It's sure a lot easier than dis-assembling the mirror again to get at the wiring!

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Shortens lifetime of mirror

Kajtek1 said:
On the side note, I have the lowering option with reverse disabled. Those mechanism are not famous for long life.
I have been using this feature but did not realize it shortens the life of the powered mirror. If that is the case, I'll disable mine too because it I don't find it to be very helpful anyway.

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,844 Posts
Looks like MB had the mirrors improved, but I used to own older BMW with this option and the passenger side mirror failure was on top of forum topics.
Where I mostly park, curbs are non-existent, so why wear out something that I don't use?

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Thank you for the clarification Kaktek1.

·
Registered
Green '02 E320 Wagon
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Raymond, thanks for the link. SORRY I didn't read the manual first! It always "just worked", I didn't know I could change it. I will try that process now.

The wiring is dead simple on the passenger's mirror. The mirror assembly (frame, spring, axis, etc) has a wiring harness with three connections:
Two black wires with quick connects for mirror heat.
Two wires in a connector fixed to the assembly for the turn signal.
Seven wires in an eight wire connector for the motor.

There's no way to mess it up. The whole system is over engineered to the hilt. I was going to do a photo DIY of how to replace everything, but I was short on time. The hardest thing is the mirror connecting to the motor. Tilt the motor half way down, connect the bottom part of the mirror first, then you must raise a metal wire to fit over a connector on the top. All I can say is, remove the motor from the assembly and practice a bunch of times first.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,344 Posts
will await your instructions. :) i have a Euro driver mirror coming arriving in a few
weeks. it has convex shape....to replace my US flat mirror.

·
Registered
Green '02 E320 Wagon
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hm, I didn't replace the driver mirror, thank heaven! That one seems much more complex than the passenger because of the auto-dimming.

Sorry I didn't take pictures of the mirror-to-motor mounting. It's easily apparent if you take the motor out and see how they connect. I will try to describe it from memory; a thousand words which one picture could cover. This is for a post-facelift W210. The braingears video (available on Youtube) show a pre-facelift.

These steps for removing the housing may make it easier to remove the glass. My glass and motor were broken, so I really can't confirm if this is necessary. I needed it to replace the turn signal.

Bend the mirror assembly toward the back of the door. Put a block of wood in the metal connection points between the assembly and the car; NOT between the housing and the car. You'll see the connection points; they're really sturdy.

There's a nearly hidden ~1" metal strip on the inside back of the housing. This is part of a metal tab which holds the housing in place. Get a screwdriver under that strip and raise it toward the glass. Eventually, it will lock into a raised position, thanks to a smaller tab on the face perpendicular to the strip you just pried up.

Now you can slide the housing off. Maybe this will show you the metal bar at the top of the mirror. Raise this up at the center, with a decent amount of force, to clear some tabs on the motor. Don't let the mirror drop, because nothing much else holds it in place. Disconnect the wires, noting their orientation for reconnnection.

Then, to mount your new mirror. You should take off the motor and practice this mounting, because it'll be a pain with everything in place. When ready, connect the appropriate wires.

Clearly, the two metal triangular pieces sticking out of the mirror must go in the two holes on the motor. The end of those metal pieces run on tracks in the motor. They should probably be greased, because they were from the factory.

The motor has a circular face, and the mirror has a circular ring of the same size raised in it's plastic. When mounting, you must work from the bottom up. First, point the motor reasonably far down to give you access to the top.

The motor has a notch at the very bottom of its face. The mirror has a raised section to fit in that notch. Once lined up, they ensure that you can't rotate the mirror and install it crooked.

Working from the bottom up, the mirror has two tabs which are intended to grab onto the motor frame. To make these catch, you must slide the mirror onto the motor from the bottom up. Ensure it's rotated correctly per the above step.

Higher up, there are more tabs on the mirror which match to the motor. But the bigger problem is the metal bar running across the mirror. That must be raised up in the center to clear a tab on the motor; the one solid connection point that holds everything on. I was able to hold the bar in the raised position by draping it over a tab on the mirror. Then, when I completed the above steps regarding the lower portion of the mount, I simply had to slip the bar off the tab on the mirror and it dropped right over the tab on the motor.

...... did I get 1000 words yet? A picutre would have been so much more helpful.

·
Registered
Green '02 E320 Wagon
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe the E300 has the similar process to what raymond described. Check the manual, it worked perfectly for me to train the mirror where to go in reverse. I'm so glad to have that feature back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts