Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The passenger side mirror of my 1996 E320 hit a trash can in the dark. As a result, the mirror & motor broke off from the base plate (see attached pic).

Findings: (1) The motor works; (2) Motor mounting legs sheared off; (3) The left triangular metal clip is missing (see attached pic).

Goals: (1) Reuse existing mirror and motor; (2) Repair motor legs if at all possible; (3) Glue motor solid to mounting plate if necessary (can I do that?); (4) Restore mirror to be fully functional.

Need Assistance: (1) Purpose of the metal clips and the significance of the missing clip; (2) Specific instructions on removal mirror from motor without breaking anything (i.e. push/pull/twist/turn/pry/direction/force and etc.).

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,652 Posts
The passenger side mirror of my 1996 E320 hit a trash can in the dark. As a result, the mirror & motor broke off from the base plate (see attached pic).

Findings: (1) The motor works; (2) Motor mounting legs sheared off; (3) The left triangular metal clip is missing (see attached pic).

Goals: (1) Reuse existing mirror and motor; (2) Repair motor legs if at all possible; (3) Glue motor solid to mounting plate if necessary (can I do that?); (4) Restore mirror to be fully functional.

Need Assistance: (1) Purpose of the metal clips and the significance of the missing clip; (2) Specific instructions on removal mirror from motor without breaking anything (i.e. push/pull/twist/turn/pry/direction/force and etc.).

Thank you for your help!
Check W210 Stickies. Lots of information on side mirror there:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, 260e Crusier, thank you for your post. It indeed has a lot of info on side mirror. Unfortunately, I failed to see any that fits my need.

I urgently need instructions on ----- How to remove/detach the mirror from the motor (after metal wire retainer removal)? I tried various ways to no avail (except by force). Was there a trick to easy removal?

Please, somebody, help me out! I thank you in advance.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,041 Posts
yeah, there is usually dbl stick tape between the mirror back and the round plastic flange...
which also has little plastic nubs which aid in keeping the two surfaces connected. having
a metal flat edge to leverage the two parts (carefully) is all that is done. oh, but remember
to flip the wire retainer off first.
IMG_0407.JPG

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Mrboca and Raymond, thank you both for your feedback.

I checked with the "referenced site" before I came to the forum. There is no double-side tape (see attached pic as a nail file sailed clear thru). And.....the twist-n-turn method does not seem to work (I did not force for fear of breaking something).

Refer to one other attached pic found from web (mine is similar). Are the white colored pieces metal clips? What are they for?

Looking forward to additional assistance. Thank you!

Attachments

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,041 Posts
did you try your nail file trick in only one spot ? the adhesive may be dots or such and located
in areas where you are unable to push through the file blade. no, there are no metal clips.
those are plastic and should have locating tabs on the motor flange which help to dock and
position the mirror. it is not twist and turn on my mirrors.

sorry for short and crappy video. 85# dog screaming for lunch

outside mirror.jpg

p.s. as I study your found-on-web-photo it isn't even an intact mirror. someone had already
dismantled it so you're only looking at the mirror backing plastic plate. the light color squares
are holes you're looking through ... at the surface behind that plastic

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
There is no glue or tape, however I think there is a heating element glued to the glass.

This is the video I used when I replaced mine (easier with shell removed):

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mrboca and Raymond, thank you both for your speedy reply! I really appreciate your help!

To Raymond --- I was able to sweep the nail file in all directions without obstruction. So I am pretty sure that there is no tape of any kind on mine. As to the pic-from-web, you are spot on! I agree with you that hey are just "holes" showing the background when the pic was taken. Great observation! Oh, that video of yours is of great help! I think I now dare to try harder and force it to see if it will split open. Stay tuned.

To 260e Crusier --- I viewed this clip before. His mirror popped out right away. Mine is currently in front of me yet I was unable to part the mirror from the motor! By the way, at 3:33 of the video, you see 2 triangular metal clips. What are they for? What if one is lost like mine? Also, Where is the heating element/glue located? Would the element/glue be the cause of not being able to separate the mirror from the motor? For all those years, I never knew the mirrors are heated. LOL!

Not that it matters, my E320 is a 1998 model and not 1996.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Mrboca and Raymond, thank you both for your speedy reply! I really appreciate your help!

To Raymond --- I was able to sweep the nail file in all directions without obstruction. So I am pretty sure that there is no tape of any kind on mine. As to the pic-from-web, you are spot on! I agree with you that hey are just "holes" showing the background when the pic was taken. Great observation! Oh, that video of yours is of great help! I think I now dare to try harder and force it to see if it will split open. Stay tuned.

To 260e Crusier --- I viewed this clip before. His mirror popped out right away. Mine is currently in front of me yet I was unable to part the mirror from the motor! By the way, at 3:33 of the video, you see 2 triangular metal clips. What are they for? What if one is lost like mine? Also, Where is the heating element/glue located? Would the element/glue be the cause of not being able to separate the mirror from the motor? For all those years, I never knew the mirrors are heated. LOL!

Not that it matters, my E320 is a 1998 model and not 1996.
Dang...............wouldn't you know it? I had my old mirror in the garage for like two years and just threw it out a couple of weeks ago! I had to replace it because the glass was "bronzing" and it pop out just like the video. It was on my 1999 E320, so should be exactly like yours.

It's been a while and my memory isn't as good as it use to be. As I recall, the heating element was glue directly to the glass. I do NOT believe the glue is the issue. It was not sticky and was actually brittle with age.

Don't know if there's any Pick & Pull near you, maybe easier to get a used one? I'm lucky as there are plenty of W210s at P&P where I live.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Try lifting glass up and then tilt out.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,041 Posts
when I first had to do this, i was pretty sure I was going to break something. thereafter, i just unlatched
and pulled. I think if you had more leverage on the nail file (like pliers) you could twist....watch for
encouraging signs of the 2 plastic parts beginning to move...and just twist the file more and it will
pop off. be sure you unlatch the wire retainer first. think kind of like the USS Enterprise NCC something
performing a saucer separation.

the 2" metal tabs you're asking about are simply 'guide' which help as the motor pivots the mirror.
(see red markings here)

outside mirror.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good evening, 260e Crusier!

Pick & Pull? Great suggestion. Will try that when all fails!

Do you know what those "2 triangular metal clips" on the mirror backing plate are for? What happens if one is missing?

Thank you again for your input!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Did you see this one? Skip to 2:30 for glass removal:

Don't recall what triangles are for. Maybe pivot point/tensioner or electrical contact for heater. I may be wrong on how heater is attached with glue.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Are you the original owner? LOL ............maybe the glass fell off and the previous owner super glued it back on!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, Raymond, thank you for your speedy reply!

I have just tried prying it open with just enough force.... to no avail. I stopped when it started to making loud crackling noises. Will try it again later.Stay tuned! So it sounds like the mirror will function normally with just one metal guide, right?

I cannot gain access to ALLDATA. Guess I have to be a member first. Anyhow, thank you for your assistance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi, 260e Crusier, did not expect to hear from you this quick....A pleasant surprise! Thanks.

Yes, I am the proud original owner of this lovely E320. It'd better not showing superglue anywhere! :)

I have seen that video clip before. When mine is not coming apart easily like all others, that's when I thought about seeking help from this forum. Wish me luck, man!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Zoom in on this picture. Appears to be two plastic hook at 10 and 2 o'clock at the edge of round circle and two tabs on bottom at 8 and 4 o'clock. So.............lift up and out from top?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Oops .......that face lift model. May not apply to yours.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Raymond says: "......When I first had to do this, I was pretty sure I was going to break something. Thereafter, I just unlatched and pulled. I think if you had more leverage on the nail file (like pliers), you could twist....watch for encouraging signs of the 2 plastic parts beginning to move......and just twist the file more and it will pop off......."
performing a saucer separation.

Yes! Pop Off it did! And....there is no glue or tape of any kind (see attached pic). Time for me to get ready for re-installation.

Thank you, both 260e Crusier and Raymond, for your help and encouragement. You have a great day!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts