Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1250v
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning on putting my truck to work on a few small projects around my house. I'm hoping to use the truck to dump some piles of topsoil that I can rake out for a new section of lawn. My question is can I back out onto a 3 to 1 slope and side dump to the high side. It seems like dumping to the high side of the truck should be fine, but I have no experience with this sort of thing. If it does tip over it will have a soft landing in my pond.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,251 Posts
Im planning on putting my truck to work on a few small projects around my house. I'm hoping to use the truck to dump some piles of topsoil that I can rake out for a new section of lawn. My question is can I back out onto a 3 to 1 slope and side dump to the high side. It seems like dumping to the high side of the truck should be fine, but I have no experience with this sort of thing. If it does tip over it will have a soft landing in my pond.

I can’t imagine being worried about it either way on a 3/12 slope. Especially if you dump uphill.

·
Registered
1250v
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. I just don't want to be the guy that tipped over my truck with the first load! Haha

·
Registered
1976 406 w/ backhoe and dozer blade, a small collection of implements too
1,576 Posts
Ben, how much of an angle will your bet tilt to?

I'd have to double check this but I know I posted some pics of mine tilting to what I remember is about 45 degrees.

Just pondering how much reduction in effective tilt you'd have dumping up hill.

Mainly curiosity.

You have more hours running equipment than most people I know, so your judgements on the limits of stability are pretty sound. If you do decide to go for down hill dumping, and it gets weird, I'm confident you'll stop in time.

Tipping it into the pond though would make for a great story........later on.

·
Registered
1250v
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats a very good question, I didnt even think about it not dumping steep enough. There are 2 tipper cylinder lengths that fit my subframe. I can only use the short one, the longer one interferes with the rear pto shaft. I have a rusty diamond plate floor, so it won't slide out unless it's pretty steep.

My concern was the load sliding out being enough to push the truck the opposite direction. It doesn't seem like 3 or 4 yards of material would be enough to push very hard.

I will try a small load the first time and see what happens

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
11,598 Posts
Worst case, do you have the room to switch 90 degrees, and drive up the hill and dump out the back? That would increase your effective dump angle and reduce to almost zero the chance of flopping.
More trips, but how many more ? The bed is longer than it is wide, but by what, by a couple feet ?
But, there may very well be reasons that prevent this approach that are obvious by looking at your ground, but which my keyboard is blind to.
And...that probably isn't the worst case, with a pond at the bottom of the hill.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
11,598 Posts
Also, maybe you can capture a layer or two of the dreaded Blue Tarp (or Brown, Black or Silver) on your bed floor by running it past your bed sides, by taking them off, cutting holes for the hinges, and re-installing them, or some other trick.
If the grommets are intact, bungees might tension the tarp up once the bed sides are up and latched. It would quickly shred with a gravel load, but with topsoil you might get a slick surface that would survive the job.
Maybe.

·
Registered
1250v
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like your figuring! I know it dumps steeper to the side than the back, the cylinder to hinge distance is shorter to the side than to the back.

If I have time after work I will fire it up and measure some dump angles! This seems important now! Haha

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Not relevant to your topic but just for comparison from one model to another.

Here is my 406

Not sure how much it tips to the back but must be really similar as the pivot point is not exactly in the center but fairly close.

I cannot practically dump to the back since materials land all over my hydraulics and backhoe mount.

·
Registered
1250v
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats great information to have! Now we can compare. Haha. I think mine probably has a similar tip angle. I didn't get back from work soon enough to dump it tonight to get a measurement. Maybe tomorrow!

·
Registered
1250v
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I finally had a few minutes to unload tools and spares from massmog and dumped the body to measure the angle. It dumps about 40 degrees to the back, and about 48 degrees to the side. Hopefully that will be enough to let material slide if im tipped up some.

I have some time this weekend to move some dirt around the yard with it.

·
Registered
1981 280GE, 2002 G500, U427/1250, 1972 280SE 4.5, 1965 190Dc
169 Posts
I cannot practically dump to the back since materials land all over my hydraulics and backhoe mount.
you could extend the bed with kind a shute - I have seen that on German Unimogs quite often

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Oskar, thanks for the ideas. What you suggest makes really good sense and I've worked on that a little bit. The trouble I have is the two upper backhoe mounts are only a little bit below the surface of the bed, so I leave the tail gate down, which would allow stuff to clear the hydraulics and all that, it promptly bottoms out on the mounts and gets bent.

Someday I'll either make a whole new bed that uses the upper backhoe mounts as a pivot point, which would be nice as a bigger bed is pretty much always desired, or see if I can build a chute that would replace the tailgate and the chute part would fit between the mounts. I'd get lots of clogs as the chute wouldn't be able to taper all the way to the edges of the bed but it would definitely help.

Ben. You haven't posted for awhile. Are you and the mog in the pond?

·
Registered
1250v
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not in the pond yet! Work has been so busy all my unimog plans have been on hold!

·
Registered
1981 280GE, 2002 G500, U427/1250, 1972 280SE 4.5, 1965 190Dc
169 Posts
Oskar, thanks for the ideas. What you suggest makes really good sense and I've worked on that a little bit. The trouble I have is the two upper backhoe mounts are only a little bit below the surface of the bed, so I leave the tail gate down, which would allow stuff to clear the hydraulics and all that, it promptly bottoms out on the mounts and gets bent.

Someday I'll either make a whole new bed that uses the upper backhoe mounts as a pivot point, which would be nice as a bigger bed is pretty much always desired, or see if I can build a chute that would replace the tailgate and the chute part would fit between the mounts. I'd get lots of clogs as the chute wouldn't be able to taper all the way to the edges of the bed but it would definitely help.
Does your tailgate not pivot on the top (and bottom) ?

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
4,149 Posts
@Britbike2001 has a "thing" behind the bed plus the hoe bits. "It's complicated" is an understatement, not in a bad way, he just had some unique engineering issues that need to be taken into account most of the time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts