Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'93 400E, '89 300E, '86 300E , '98 S420
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 98 S420 i have the self dimming mirrors. I noticed that the passenger side mirror doesn't dim. is that normal? or is mine broken?

·
Registered
Current 1992 - 500SEL, W124 - 1989 230E (sold)
1,387 Posts
All 3 should do it (middle and sides....) you can carefuly pull the mirror off, it clips on and check there is plug with two cables going to it it may have fallen off...or if you had mirror replaced(or previous owner did they may have forgoten to plug it in)

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
Only the drivers and center mirror dim. If you look at the glass on the passenger side mirror, you'll notice it is tinted blue rather than the tan/brownish color the drivers sider has. Owners manual clearly states it is only these two mirrors - on 98 models anyway.

trey

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
twalton said:
Only the drivers and center mirror dim. If you look at the glass on the passenger side mirror, you'll notice it is tinted blue rather than the tan/brownish color the drivers sider has. Owners manual clearly states it is only these two mirrors - on 98 models anyway.

trey

ok i thought i had read that before. it just seems stupid that on a car that is so overly engineered that both mirrors would not have that function.

thanks guys!

·
Registered
Current 1992 - 500SEL, W124 - 1989 230E (sold)
1,387 Posts
wow that wierd because i have replaced my passenger side mirror as it had a black spot in the middle and it has two wires going to it and it dims...and its 1992 , why would they remove that option in 1998?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
miloking said:
wow that wierd because i have replaced my passenger side mirror as it had a black spot in the middle and it has two wires going to it and it dims...and its 1992 , why would they remove that option in 1998?

is it a euro?

·
Registered
1995 S500
379 Posts
Well mine is NA specs and both sides dim, but not the red colour it's more of a dark greenish colour. The newer, I think 97 and up, W140s have the redish colour dunno if all mirrors should dim on those.
I've also noticed on a couple of Flying Spurs that their whole windshield is the redish hue.

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
Even though my '97 manual has a paragraph entitled "Exterior Rear View Mirrors" that says "...mirror reflection brightness responds to changes in light sensitivity.", and it doesn't say "just the left", or the "not the right", my right mirror has no dimming wiring. The left one does have the wiring, and the wires (3 or 4) in the housing go downward and clicks into the mirror's cable end, which goes upward. BTW, the housing's wires don't have much insulation on them - definitely some bare wires making contact. Another project.

My left mirror doesn't look real good anyway...some kind of delamination - a double-vision image, with an amber image overpowering the other one.

I'm not sure a non-dim version mirror would work in the left one, IF you want the heating function. The non-dim version has a 2-post connector on the mirror back, but there doesn't appear to be a separate 2-post connector in the dimming version housing.

As far as buying replacements, some for sale say "Not for models with auto dimming", and some don't, but so far the comments don't appear accurate.

Peachparts - says w/o dimming, but with a wire cable in the picture, $326.45. (At this price, their comment's gotta be wrong)

partsgeek.com - says w/o dimming, but with a wire cable in the picture, $224.94 (Their comment's ALSO gotta be wrong)

AllPartsExpress - no wires in picture, but there is a 2-post connection (for heating, I guess) , $85.71.

Autohaus - right side, $93.61 (no back side picture)

Can only the rubber seal be bought, between the mirror assembly and the door frame ? Or do you have to buy the assembly?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts