Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
M120, M119, W126*2 + Silver Avantgarde wagon
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few siblings and one of them just test drove a CLK - and approves.

As gently as I can, I have tried to explain that rather than spending eg 25k on a 07 CLK it might be a far more agreeable long term purchase to find a 98 or 99 CL, low mileage, one owner, all records and then have it "Strykered..." :D, i.e. invest another say 10k +/- in it to make it absolutely right.

What do you all think and how can I pull it off? Is this a wise course of action on my part, or am I risking familial damage, as my assumption (to be verified by you lot!!!) is that once a late model CL is really right it can be just as reliable and trustworthy,... and more satsfying than a late model (07/08) CLK?

Please let me know our thoughts, or what you think is the best choice between the two. The only other car in the runing will be an E38 740il 2001

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Get him a into a test drive of the W140 coupe, then wash your hands of the matter, and let the chips fall where they may.

Brett

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sensible advice - as much as I'd like to "assist", I'll be good.... :eek:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
You like most here are biased. But it makes sense to pay 25k between a car and fixing everything like new again instead of spending 25k before repairs. Currently I'm starting the work on the E38...700 in parts so far and only 200 is essential parts the rest is preventative or easier to replace now instead of doing the same labor twice.

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
If its a girl, you won't move her from the clk. if it's not a girl, begin questioning their life preferences.

for 25k you can get an off lease base new C class, with warranty and still not about to need a weekly lift trip

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More wise words - thank you!... this is interesting. And yes, why is it that so many girls love CLK's???? I mean it looks sort of cute, until you get in it....

& Tack - enjoy that E38 project - great stable!

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
6,543 Posts
Reading your post reminds me of my SL, I bought it 6 years ago for £40k and 15k miles, it has cost me over £4k in parts in this time and I do 90% of the work myself. Had I had this work done at MB you could add another £10k. I now have a car worth £15k top.

If your son buys a CLK they can be troublesome, and 3 years down the line it will not be worth much. Can you not take him out in yours and point out the virtues of owning a CL rather than knock the CLK.

OK I have only had mine a few weeks but what a joy to drive and not very different to the SL, the CL is much quieter and my ex goes to sleep in it, something never known to happen before.

Go to the CLK part of this forum and dig out all of the problems that they can have, it matters not that most of the cars on forums are the troublesome ones, do not tell him that bit.

Good luck on this and no easy task

·
Registered
1995 S500 coupe, 1990 Mazda Miata
692 Posts
I agree with Brett. Driving is believing. The CLK is fun but doesn't stand out in my memory of test drives.

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
If its a girl, you won't move her from the clk. if it's not a girl, begin questioning their life preferences.

for 25k you can get an off lease base new C class, with warranty and still not about to need a weekly lift trip
exactly. same thing happened when i got my girlfriend a used clk. she just liked it for the convertible.

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree with almost everything said.... I'll make the sensible points, admit the gasoline weakness - and let the decision be out of my hands. Setting up a test drive in a decent CL.

Personally, I drove a CLK once, it reminded me of a hairdryer.

·
Registered
95 S500, 07 S550 AMG
791 Posts
25k? I could find a nice 750Li 03+ for 20k and its far more superior.

Here in MI my friend got a CL500 AMG 2003 for 17k and after he knew he rushed it as he could find it for cheaper.

The CLK 07 might run a bit over 25k..and if you're going to the 25k digits...At that price range, I would be looking only at one car without looking back - the w219

1 - 14 of 14 Posts