Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok well good luck. No problem just going through same problem and Mercedes rep told me of issue and will pay to take car in tomorrow. Good luck

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 2014 C350 Sport
235 Posts
Good luck to you, as well. I hope the dealer has better mechanics than that rep. Please come back and post your results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jetta Red,

Here is the problem. The Lower Transmission Cooler in the radiator went out. This caused coolant to get into my transmission and trans fluid to get into my coolant system. And result catastrophic loss of Transmission and Radiator. This will cost about 12000 to repair. I have aftermarket warranty but u know those guys thrive in finding a way to save money. Just my part in paying for hoses will cost around 12000. Service was done at MB Ft Walton Beach.

·
Registered
European 1974 350SLC ,'78 300CD& '80 300CD sold , '81 240D SWMBO's Car '84 300CD & Euro
653 Posts
DISCLAIMER : I'm a geezer who only worked on older cars than this .

That being said, the juddering is usually caused by the sprag clutch in the torque converter .

39,000 miles is the absolute maximum mileage before ATF and filter change, you must drop the tranny pan and wipe out the accumulated crud you'll certainly find .

Yes, drain the torque converter too .

At this point it's a hail mary pass but if it gets your going again it's well worth the attempt IMO .

I'm a Journeyman Mechanic who saved many a "bad" auto tranny by simply doing a careful hot ATF & filter change .

Good luck and please post back how it goes .

Do your diligent research and only use the correct fluid ! .

-Nate

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 2014 C350 Sport
235 Posts
Jetta Red,

Here is the problem. The Lower Transmission Cooler in the radiator went out. This caused coolant to get into my transmission and trans fluid to get into my coolant system. And result catastrophic loss of Transmission and Radiator. This will cost about 12000 to repair. I have aftermarket warranty but u know those guys thrive in finding a way to save money. Just my part in paying for hoses will cost around 12000. Service was done at MB Ft Walton Beach.
You can get a rebuilt tranny for $3000 shipped to your mechanic from http://fdt-online.com/722-9.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
DISCLAIMER : I'm a geezer who only worked on older cars than this .

That being said, the juddering is usually caused by the sprag clutch in the torque converter .

39,000 miles is the absolute maximum mileage before ATF and filter change, you must drop the tranny pan and wipe out the accumulated crud you'll certainly find .

Yes, drain the torque converter too .

At this point it's a hail mary pass but if it gets your going again it's well worth the attempt IMO .

I'm a Journeyman Mechanic who saved many a "bad" auto tranny by simply doing a careful hot ATF & filter change .

Good luck and please post back how it goes .

Do your diligent research and only use the correct fluid ! .

-Nate
Had a complete transmission service, new fluid, filter, gasket & bolts at a different MB dealership, although they didn't drain the torque converter. The Service Manager said the new fluid would work it's way through it. he also stated they didn't find any "shavings" in the old fluid, a good sign. The result is better, much better, but, have noticed slight shuddering on acceleration at above 1,000 rpm and below 2,000 on an incline, any ideas?

·
Registered
European 1974 350SLC ,'78 300CD& '80 300CD sold , '81 240D SWMBO's Car '84 300CD & Euro
653 Posts
RE: lazy assed "Mechanics" ~ that the entire point of having a drain plug : USE THE DAMN THING ! .

There's a sprag clutch inside th torque converter plus it holds about three times as much fluid as the tranny pan does .

You now where NOT to take your precious M-B unless you want endless repair bills and shoddy work .

Just for fun, go take a 30 minute or longer drive them pull over, set the park brake and tranny into park, pop the hood and pull the dipstick and sniff the fluid on the very end of it ~ get close, it won't hurt you .

Do this and report back what if smells like and what color the ATF fluid is .

Sorry for the late reply, apparently I missed the notice of replies .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
RE: lazy assed "Mechanics" ~ that the entire point of having a drain plug : USE THE DAMN THING ! .

There's a sprag clutch inside th torque converter plus it holds about three times as much fluid as the tranny pan does .

You now where NOT to take your precious M-B unless you want endless repair bills and shoddy work .

Just for fun, go take a 30 minute or longer drive them pull over, set the park brake and tranny into park, pop the hood and pull the dipstick and sniff the fluid on the very end of it ~ get close, it won't hurt you .

Do this and report back what if smells like and what color the ATF fluid is .

Sorry for the late reply, apparently I missed the notice of replies .
No Dipstick & as far as I am aware no drain plug on my 2008 C350

21 - 35 of 35 Posts