Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 C350 shudders or slips on acceleration, the feeling is like going over rumble strips & doesn't last more than a second or two, sometimes at low speed gear change, sometimes when accelerating using cruise control at speed. No error codes are being thrown up.
Is it a fuel pump issue, an airmass flow sensor issue or a transmission flush oil & filter change/torque convertor/solenoid issue?
It only has 160,000 miles, just run in...what do you think/suggest?

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 2014 C350 Sport
220 Posts
When was the transmission last serviced? Are you the original owner? How long have you had the car?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When was the transmission last serviced? Are you the original owner? How long have you had the car?
No codes were found by two MB dealers, I have had the car from 39K miles and as far as I am aware the sealed transmission has never been serviced in my ownership

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well, there ain’t no such thing as a “sealed transmission”. Mercedes came out with a service bulletin changing that nonsense when they started having a lot of tranny failures. But that was a while ago. Depending on when built and whether you use red or blue tranny fluid, the change interval is 39,000 miles (red) or 70,000 miles (blue).

Either dealer should be able to tell you if a mercedes dealership ever serviced the tranny by the VIN.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know what ATF3353 is, but you want ATF134 and it seems you may have the early model transmission which should be changed every 40,000 (39,000) miles. Here's the kit you need.

This has the red fluid, your earlier post suggested the blue on 70,000 miles, is this because you think I have the early model transmission?Thank you so much!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Actually, FCP Euro identified the red fluid (ATF134) for your car. (The blue fluid is ATF134FE.) You should be changing it every 39,000 miles. If it has never been changed, it is long overdue.

Take note that I said “change”, NOT a flush. Basically you want a drain and fill with a new filter. High pressure flushing is not recommended for a transmission with that many miles and not having been regularly serviced.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You may or may not be able to change the torque converter (TC) fluid. Some of the first 722.9 trannies did not have a drain bolt for the TC, though yours may.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually, FCP Euro identified the red fluid (ATF134) for your car. (The blue fluid is ATF134FE.) You should be changing it every 39,000 miles. If it has never been changed, it is long overdue.

Take note that I said “change”, NOT a flush. Basically you want a drain and fill with a new filter. High pressure flushing is not recommended for a transmission with that many miles and not having been regularly serviced.
I want to thank you so very much for helping me with this, I am beyond livid that NONE of my MB dealers who service my car EVERY time ever had this scheduled, I have already paid them $$$ to try and find what is going wrong with it, yet I come to a MB forum and find decent people like you who pinpoint the problem and cure inside an hour! Thank you Sir!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Your welcome. I'm not promising this will solve your problem, but it's something that should have been done and needs to be done anyway.

These transmissions sometimes have the internal speed sensor fail. The symptoms you describe are NOT an indication of this failure. However, if you ever have that problem (usually the transmission not downshifting), a temporary fix it to shut the car off and then on. That tends to reset the sensor. You will need to scan for transmission codes to confirm this is the problem. You will NOT get a check engine light normally for transmission failures. That said, a good alternative to the dealer is to pull the conductor plate and send it to Circuit Board Medics for repair. They have a video on how to remove and reinstall your conductor plate.

Should you have more serious problems, you can get a rebuilt transmission from Factory Direct Transmissions for $3000 shipped. I've not used them, but the company has been in business for a while.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Mercedes 2012 C350 is doing the same thing taking it tomorrow to dealer. This YouTube video is the most likely culvert of this problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you have oil in your coolant this may be it as i have oil in coolant, and trans is shifting and racing bad. And car is running hotter. But my engine has no errors just the check coolant message

·
Registered
220 Posts
My Mercedes 2012 C350 is doing the same thing taking it tomorrow to dealer. This YouTube video is the most likely culvert of this problem.
Why do you think a leaky oil cooler is causing the symptoms described by the original post?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oil in the coolant res. And jumping of the transmission when going in different gear, due to the trans straining to get fluid back into it. As water is mixing into it, but can't get into trans due to pressure

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm sorry and don't want to seem rude, but you don't understand what is going on. The video showed motor oil leaking into the coolant because of a failed gasket in the oil cooler. It has nothing to do with the transmission or transmission fluid.

There was a problem back in 2003 with certain E-class cars with radiators that also served as transmission fluid coolers that had end-tanks that failed and mixed coolant with transmission fluid. When that happened, the transmission was toast. That is not the case any longer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts