Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995 C280
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been driving in limp home mode for the past 12,000 miles! Because i've still haven't figured out the issue with the mysterious noise coming from the throttle body area, no cruise control (>:O) and no traction control. The transmission only shifts into gear when you take your foot off the gas pedal, other than that, it shifts at like 4500 rpm. ANYWAY I've noticed a shuddering from what feels like the rear of the car when i take off, which happens during a semi hard takeoff. Would it be a flex disc? diff? driveshaft? or i'm hoping not transmission

it's one after another with this car
:crybaby2:

·
Registered
1998 c230 170K
1,415 Posts
Get the codes read and report back, from what you said so far you probably have several issues going on. Your drive shaft center bearing may be worn in addition to the flex disks and could be contributing to the shuddering in the rear.
Check your tranny level and if it has not been changed within the last 30k your overdue. Has the wiring harness ever been changed? B

·
Registered
1995 C280
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Codes are:

p0505
p0116
p1137
p1700

The wiring harness has been not changed, and shows no cracks or powder anywhere. I'm thinking it's a mechanical and not electrical fault

·
Registered
c36, 1970 LeMans Sport, a truck
318 Posts
Sounds like a massive vacuum leak causing the upshift issues.

Did you try to reset the codes to see what comes back?

Those codes point to bad IAC and temp sensor. Reset them, check to see what comes back and replace what it says.

You shouldn't be driving in limp-home, fix it.

rjp

·
Registered
1995 C280
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a massive vacuum leak causing the upshift issues.

Did you try to reset the codes to see what comes back?

Those codes point to bad IAC and temp sensor. Reset them, check to see what comes back and replace what it says.

You shouldn't be driving in limp-home, fix it.

rjp
Definitely isn't a vacuum leak because it shifts normally, until the damn noise around the throttle body area comes back. I'm pretty positive it might be a throttle body or IAC. Would the iac make a bad whirring or grinding noise? you can feel it through the pedal too.

I can go highway speeds, cause the car isn't stuck in 2nd/

I'll try to make a video of the noise

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG, 2002 C32 AMG
1,637 Posts
your shuddering sounds kind of like a flex disc issue. are they cracked or broken at all? if they appear fine, they probably are fine. mine was cracked and breaking away and causing those issues with the vibrations.

·
Registered
1998 c230 170K
1,415 Posts
The throttle body actuator has a internal magnetic inductance with pickups that may be worn and not adjusting correctly causing the grinding noise, it could cause the all the symtoms that you showed and described including the faulty cruise control issue. It would not be related to the rear end issue that you mentioned. From what I saw there was no indication of a VSS sensor problem I originally thought. As mentioned already, one of the codes pointed to a temp sensor as well. I would not discount any vacuum leaks either. B

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG, 2002 C32 AMG
1,637 Posts
i think the throttle bodies also changed, possibly with the facelifted vehicles. they went from the mechanical linkage to electronic. not sure exactly which one you have. its probably the old one which i believe still has the electronic sensors but is controlled mechanically. i actually had a tb code in the recent past and found my boot that connects the intake pipe to the tb to be cracked/torn. after i replaced this i never got the code again... perhaps it was just coincidence though :confused: however my car did not experience any of the symptoms you have. good luck:eek:

·
Registered
1995 C280
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to bump the thread, but could this part also be an issue?

Idle Air/Speed Control Valve: Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

The idle does seem alot higher than normal (which actually helps out in the cold) but still isn't right. Would this part create that annoying noise as well and cause it to go into limp home?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts