Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
9,055 Posts
New to us 2012 R350 4-Matic with al the bells and whistles. 82k miles. $18k.

Took it to Sears today to pick up a garage cabinet. 76 x 25 x 42 inches. In it went, no problems! Much to amazement of the Sears loading Bay guys...

400 more U-Haul hires saved and it'll have paid for itself ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,055 Posts
I've taken to calling it "The Zeppelin" because it's silver, (sort of) German and frigging HUGE :)

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Silver Arrow

With summer tires/wheels:

IMG_9295.jpg

IMG_9299.JPG

With winter tires/wheels:

IMG_9398.jpg

IMG_3520.jpg

Summer wheels are MAK 22''

IMG_9305.jpg

2007-model with 240.000 kilometres
Lowering links
Chip tuned 3.2 litre V6 Turbo Diesel
AMG front
Tinted rear lights
Blue LED front park lights
Xenon
Short version (I really really don't like the long version) :grin

Had it for two years, very happy with it! Will most likely keep it for 8 more years. It's a perfect family car with it's proper 3x seat rows as I have 3 small kids. Still it's kinda sporty and quick when you want to have some fun with it :grin

Future plans:
1) Rust removal, dent fixing and paint (being done at a shop next week)
2) Some more LED upgrades (fog lights, park lights, drive & brake lights, indicator lights). I'm not doing anything with the std halogen long lights as those work perfectly as is (and nobody does ever "see" them anyway)
3) Do a DIY front LED tube mod à la Audi (driving lights)
4) Replace the original Comand unit with something more modern (with Android, WiFi, GPS and DAB+)
5) If I do the front light LED mod and it turns out well then maybe I'll play around with the rears... but I'm quite happy with them the way they are. Also they are very little to work with, at least when looking at them from the back.

Thx for looking and comments are always welcome!

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's got Distronic (adaptive cruise) yes. Works quite well. I don't like or use the "collision warning" though as I find it to be set too sensitive.

The W251 exists in a standard/short version and a long version. The long version has been a popular car by caretakers :devil

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not sure but by looking at other pics here it seem to me like most actually are the long wheelbase in the US.

I see mostly long ones in Norway also, most buyers probably went for "more space"...

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w251-r-class/2543873-long-wheelbase-identification.html

Quote:
The models with designation 251.0XX have swb and models with designation 251.1XX have lwb.
For example, 4JG2511651A112640.

Or letter "B" in the 4th position of the US-spec. VIN mean lwb.
For example 4JGCB6FE7AA112640.

The giveaway is the rear side door. For the short/std version the rear doors are shorter than the front ones. Whilst for the long version they look more similar in size (actually look longer then the front doors).

But man... even the short one is a BIG car! 2.3 tons and it makes all other cars parked to it look so small :grin

·
Registered
17 Posts
I guess I have the LWB version. I actually appreciate the third row and extra cargo. Without it, there would be no point to owning it for me. I'd have opted for another GL/GLS. My R350 BlueTEC is the one pictured in this thread.

I'm not sure but by looking at other pics here it seem to me like most actually are the long wheelbase in the US.

I see mostly long ones in Norway also, most buyers probably went for "more space"...

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w251-r-class/2543873-long-wheelbase-identification.html

Quote:
The models with designation 251.0XX have swb and models with designation 251.1XX have lwb.
For example, 4JG2511651A112640.

Or letter "B" in the 4th position of the US-spec. VIN mean lwb.
For example 4JGCB6FE7AA112640.

The giveaway is the rear side door. For the short/std version the rear doors are shorter than the front ones. Whilst for the long version they look more similar in size (actually look longer then the front doors).

But man... even the short one is a BIG car! 2.3 tons and it makes all other cars parked to it look so small :grin

·
Registered
16 Posts
There's 3 rows also in the short version. But less space for cargo and less leg room also I guess.

But not a problem for us, it's still a very roomy car compared to others.

I use a "ski box" on the roof during winter for skis +++

·
Registered
17 Posts
There are 3 rows also in the short version. But less space for cargo and less leg room also I guess.

But not a problem for us, it's still a very roomy car compared to others.

I use a "ski box" on the roof during winter for skis +++
I just use a ski valet. Haha

Standard wheelbase vehicles are becoming more popular in the States, but long wheelbase still seems to be preferred when offered.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice car!

I'll get the summer tires on shortly myself.

Btw I read on Wikipedia that only the long wheelbase version was offered in the US.

Got my R back from the workshop two weeks ago. They removed all rust and repainted almost the whole car (minus roof and hood).

After:
IMG_0183.jpg

Before:
IMG_2685.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Shy,

Thanks! Likewise! ;-)

Wow!!! Which part of the car was that with all the corrosion? I'm betting that the car was parked inside a heated garage and the salt from the roads ate away at the metal. It is convenient to get into a warm car in the winter, however, if you live in a nordic country, it is the worst for a car.

Cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thx man! :grin

This is from one of the rear wheel arches. Most likely due to the factory using some kind of fat/grease under the paint. Once that let go of the metal it was game over. You could tear the paint of quite easily.

On the front wheel arches there were holes in the paint due to flying gravel. The previous owner probably drove a lot on gravel roads.

Here in Norway they love to salt the roads... this is poison for the cars!

But anyway, I got all this fixed plus several dents and cracks in the front and rear bumper. I actually got driven into while parked 3(!) times during 2 months... Front, rear and side... plenty of jerks around :devil

Btw the car set a new mileage record home from the mountains this weekend: 0.64 litres / 10 km. Not bad for a 4WD @ 2.3 tons, 5 people, skibox and loaded with luggage :grin It's the 3.5 litre V6 diesel. It's chip-tuned with a "save diesel" program. Seems to work... and it's got plenty of power when needed.

Cheers

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Shy,

Are you sure it's a 3.5 and not a 3.0? I don't believe a 3.5 V6 diesel was made by Mercedes.

In any case, enjoy your freshened up ride!

Take care

101 - 120 of 131 Posts