Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Very Nice! How did you lower it? Look forward to seeing more pics.
It's lowered by using the adjustable link kit from Adjustable Air Ride. Easy to install and uninstall, as well as to adjust to the requested height.

Did some photoshooting this afternoon:

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
WICKED sweet! Do you have airmatic? You used links for the rear? How did you lower the front? Awesome R!
Thanks! :) Yes, I have Airmatic - so I use adjustable links both front and rear. Thanks to the Airmatic, I can raise the car approximately 3 inches from the lowered position (as You all allready know). Very useful sometimes here in Norway: 5-6 months with winter and snow...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Does the airmatic void the warranty? You R looks sweet!! I'm still torn between 20" and 22" wheels. Does the lowering affect the ride very much? Can that wheel/tire combo take the pot holes? What siz tires are those? Did you get a good deal on the whells? Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here is our 2006 R500. Purchased it in August 2008. I have added the wireless rear backup camera, 19" AMG wheels w/Michelin Lattitudes, chrome trim around front/rear lights, AMG pedal covers, brown floor mats, IU plate, Sheepskin inserts, cup holder in rear of the front console, nets for the cargo area, and soon a hitch for a cargo carrier.

The rest of the pics: Flickr: rgood10921's Photostream
Sweet! love Your R-Class, great color choice. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for the compliment!! Took the R-Class to Colorado for a 2 week vacation. We went up Pikes Peak Mountain - 14,000 feet high and did it without any issues. Notice in the pics a KIA mini van did not have such good luck. Talked to the owner, it started missing real bad around 12,000 feet. I just love this vehicle!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the compliment!! Took the R-Class to Colorado for a 2 week vacation. We went up Pikes Peak Mountain - 14,000 feet high and did it without any issues. Notice in the pics a KIA mini van did not have such good luck. Talked to the owner, it started missing real bad around 12,000 feet. I just love this vehicle!!

Your Welcome, :thumbsup: ya vacations are fun, So how fun is Your R-Class to drive? just wondering.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Fun...The R500 is not a sports car, but I do really like the power of the V8. It does not have the airmatic suspension, so it can get a little lefty/righty floaty at times. I absolutely love the passing power and it sounds good also. Dead quite interior is great also. I have not pushed the car yet to see what it can do as far as handling, but I can tell you this..three days ago while traveling through Rocky Mountain National Park I was doing 30 to 35 miles an hour down hill and came upon a car parked in my lane on the shoulder, I did not see anyone in it from a distance, but I did put the left side of the car over the center line, no oncoming traffic, just as I got to the car pulled off, a 14 year old girl opens up the door and runs out of the car to cross the road to get her picture taken, ran right in front of me, I hammered the brakes cut it hard left and by the grace of God missed her by about an inch. Scared the crap out of me and her, it took me 5 minutes to get my heart rate down. The R500 barked the tires just for a split second when I hit the brakes hard, it turned on a dime and that has SOLD me on handling for this vehicle!! Fun, yah it is fun for what it is, the R63 would be funner and my dream car CLS63 would be even more yet, but for now...I do enjoy it so much..it is a great family hauler!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Fun...The R500 is not a sports car, but I do really like the power of the V8. It does not have the airmatic suspension, so it can get a little lefty/righty floaty at times. I absolutely love the passing power and it sounds good also. Dead quite interior is great also. I have not pushed the car yet to see what it can do as far as handling, but I can tell you this..three days ago while traveling through Rocky Mountain National Park I was doing 30 to 35 miles an hour down hill and came upon a car parked in my lane on the shoulder, I did not see anyone in it from a distance, but I did put the left side of the car over the center line, no oncoming traffic, just as I got to the car pulled off, a 14 year old girl opens up the door and runs out of the car to cross the road to get her picture taken, ran right in front of me, I hammered the brakes cut it hard left and by the grace of God missed her by about an inch. Scared the crap out of me and her, it took me 5 minutes to get my heart rate down. The R500 barked the tires just for a split second when I hit the brakes hard, it turned on a dime and that has SOLD me on handling for this vehicle!! Fun, yah it is fun for what it is, the R63 would be funner and my dream car CLS63 would be even more yet, but for now...I do enjoy it so much..it is a great family hauler!!!
That's good to hear that You didn't hit her, I would too like to be able to get an R63. I have always liked it. By the way what think of the Diesel model? have been wondering about it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Well, fellow R-Nuts... my lust for modding out an R-500 was quenched. My wife test drove an Odyssey and decided that it was the better car for the family.
I had to agree, although I didn't want to.
We picked up a new Oddy EX-L with navigation, rear DVD, and every other possible option for $30,400. This was over 20% off the sticker... now is the time to buy a car.
I put 19" alloys on it before the odometer hit 200 miles.

Anyway, I wanted to post a picture of what I planned on doing to the nose of the R-Class. The headlight design begs for this mod (matches the CLS), and it would be an inexpensive (and removable) change. I have painted my tail lights a few times, and had my headlights apart twice to install halos & LED's... to sand the lens and paint it would be simple. You would have to clear it afterwards.

Here are my tail lights. I mixed some color in with the clear to get the brakes to shine through.

Off:

On:

Some people may say these mods look "ricer" and would cheapen the car.
Some people don't like changing their car at all; that everything the factory does is sacred.
I just can't stand driving anything without customizing it... making it unique. To each their own.

I think Mercedes should have designed the headlights like this in the first place.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Has any one tried this look ?

If so please post pictures and close up how you did it....
Great to see someone experimenting. I also llike this look; you just have to work out the turn signal problem.
You could cover the signal in tape (cheap, and won't look right), sand and paint the lens (blocks the turn signal), or paint it with a clear/color mix.

I did the latter with my bumper lights and it worked great. Remove the light, sand it with 300-400 grit. Mix up some 2-part clear (available from a bodyshop store). Mix-up some color matching your car (ditto), and drop some of the color into the clear mix. Add a small amoount and test paint it over a white piece of cardboard until you get color to show up, but not block any words on the cardboard.
Spray enough thin coats on the lens so you can still see through it, but the color and metallic are obvious.

Here is the result on my car:
...whoops, I can't find the pics.

Well, here is a vid I did for a Chrysler contest a while back. It shows the bumper lights towards the end:

·
Registered
1 Posts
True that, there are not many pics of the R series at all! I've just snapped a few shots this morning and will take more detailed pics later. All are uploaded at Mercedes Benz R350 | CaliVW78.com

We just picked up this R350 two days ago. We have four kids and are in the car pretty often going to dance, gymnastics, school stuff, etc. While this doesn't quite have the room that the Odyssey did, everyone is very happy with the comfort factor!

Peace, Troy

·
Registered
785 Posts
I think you are not suppose to use a 70 watt bulb into a 55 watt housing, unless you have changed it of course AsianBlackR350.
No problem here since day one over a year and still had them on.
(had installed heavy duty harness.)

Attachments

21 - 40 of 131 Posts