Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in having the brake calipers on my silver SLK painted. I may go for subtle, having a body shop paint them silver similar to the car's color or... How common is this aesthetic detail, and what have some of you forumites here done with your calipers? Thanks! [:)]

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Lots of colors, lots of ways to do it ....

A body shop is likely the most expensive way.
There are epoxy paints that work very well, and you can do it yourself, but they cost a fair amount.
I have used high temperature engine paint, it's cheap, and available from any auto parts store, or WalMart...[:D]
Silver or gold may not be the best choice for only one reason, high metallic content often will corrode and change color to a mottled appearance. Anything else is fair game. One of the guys here masked off the area not to be painted with aluminum foil, great idea, it needs no tape to hold it in place and conforms to the odd shapes wonderfully. [;)]
Consider doing it yourself, it's not that hard. I painted the brakes on my 16 valve Chevy red/orange, and the ones on my '32 Ford blue.
Just clean the calipers well with a good detergent or solvent and go for it, if you don't like it, [B)] repaint them black, or let an auto body shop try if you think they can do better.... [:D][:D][:p]

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
178 Posts
I used the foil idea as well when I painted mine. The whole job took roughly three hours and gave me an opportunity to wax the inside of my wheels and clean my wheel wells.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
HA HA THAT FOIL IDEA WAS MINE! FREAKIN AWESOME YOU JUST MADE MY DAY!

here are mine

http://benzworld.org/gallery/showlink.asp?CatID=12534&parentID=27&subname=Deatherage%60s_SLK_230_Blue&parentname=R170_SLK_Class

One problem with painting your calipurs if you didnt upgrade your brake pads to like porterfields or some brand that doesnt powder as much it covers your paint up.

I will clean mine off nice once I get new brake pads because I cannot even see the paint anymore. Also my rims are stock so they dont allow enough of a visual to really make a difference.

LOOKS awesome MRFU

·
Registered
1998 MB SLK 230
504 Posts
Deathrage's car, excatly the same as mine (got the info from him, thanks [:D] ) except i don't have the yellow marker (EURO model)

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
178 Posts
I must admit that was Deathy's idea, all hail Deathy. I also blame you for the ass-kicking I took from my wife when I left her with 1/8 of an inch of foil[B)]

Seriously though, it was a great idea Deathy!

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
ha ha ha tell her to beat me next time. I like it!

·
Registered
1998 MB SLK 230
504 Posts
Slav - 2/12/2005 6:57 PM

I must admit that was Deathy's idea, all hail Deathy. I also blame you for the ass-kicking I took from my wife when I left her with 1/8 of an inch of foil[B)]

Seriously though, it was a great idea Deathy!

Damn you keep those rims clean! nice job.

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
178 Posts
Thank you much, have to keep them clean as they look awful when they are dirty.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great input guys, and thanks! [:D] If Deathy's technique isn't patented, ingenious as it is, I think I'll try it out. All the pics posted so far show really meticulous detailing. Keep em' coming; It's tough deciding on either yellow or red. [;)]

P.S. Thanks, Bruce R. for the heads up; I would have NOT been a happy camper if I painted them silver only to have them look lousy in short order! [:(!]

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Any engine paint will do, if the calipers go over 400 deg F and ...

blister or char the paint, it will not make any difference. Brake fluid generally boils at temps well below that, and you'll be into a wall anyway ... [:eek:)][;)]

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
I pulled my wheels off yesterday to clean them up. It was no 3 hour job though, more like 5. The insides of the wheels were filthy, probably never been cleaned in 32k miles (I've only had it a month). The worst part was cleaning off the old foam double stick tape residue that they use to hold the balance weights on. After what Deathy had said about the brake dust covering the painted calipers I chose to just clean them up with a small wire brush. They look a lot better but not nearly as good as the painted ones above. Next time I need brake pads I'll get Porterfields then maybe I'll try painting the calipers. The problem with a job like this is once you get the wheels off you find a lot more stuff in the wheel wells that needs to be cleaned up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
10 Posts
I painted mine silver with a kit I purchased from the Tire Rack. The kit included everything except for masking tape or foil as some have used. I chose silver because I wanted an understated look and didn't choose red as I did not want my calipers to appear as Brembo's etc. when they really are not. But this is certainly a personal opinion/choice and not a commentary on those that chose red or any other color.

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK 320, 450 SL
629 Posts
if you use the G2 Manufacturing - Brake Caliper Paint
and use foil to protect the rotor etc. but use the supplied brush you'll get a more professional looking result.
http://www.g2usa.com/wheel.shtml

You don't want to paint the aluminum clips on the calipers. You can paint in and around the sides better with the brush. You need to do all four at once so you need to prepare them all before you mix the paint and start painting...

The finish is hard and glossy so the brake dust does not stick to it and if you use the brush I suggested in an old thread to brush off (dry only) your wheels daily - the dust problem is gone.

I did silver and they look like the day I did them. I also undercoated inside the wheel wells at the same time which makes the car look so much better than painted the color of the car (unless your car is black!)

Here's a link to other happy campers:
http://www.miata.net/products/perform/g2.html

[:D]

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again for all your input!

In the final equation, I've decided to go with silver... I'll be changing the spring pads within a week or so, and the mechanic said he could remove the calipers and send them off to a body shop.

I'll make sure that the painting is done properly, the surface is prepared well, and the product is not going to oxidize or flake.

I removed "KOMPRESSOR", "200 SLK", and the dealer's license plate frame from my SLK, so I guess I like more discretion as far as the caliper's color. It was a difficult call, as they all look excellent.

Thanks again!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts