Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I’ve had a 300SD via Ebay US for the last three years, it was my first experience of the OM617; about 18 months ago I bought my first W123 after having steadfastly ignored the series for many years. I do wish I’d not, what a car!
The 123 is a 300d, non-turbo with only 80k miles. Such a beautiful noise. My addiction to the 617 had definitely begun
Much as I love that car I wanted another TD. I toyed with buying a coupe, but there was always the 300TDT in my mind and last week I found one here in Portugal. I bought it. I’m very happy - no rust, less than 100k miles (just), lovely interior, though I’d probably change classic white to something else, however, it’s a cracker.
One question if I may, why can’t I hear the turbo spool? With the ’79 W116, there’s a reassuring whistle, the ’82, nothing. Are they different turbo’s? It certainly seems to go a lot faster than the n/a 300, but no whoooosh.
Would it be possible to have an inaudible Turbo 617 – I live in a zero noise part of Portugal and drive with the windows down in tight-walled areas from time to time – still nothing. (But the car stills seems a lot quicker than the 300d!)
The car has only done a couple of thousand miles a year recently.
Any thoughts muchappreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Best wishes,

Paul

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Gentlemen,

That's reassuring. I think I can only hear it in the '79 sd because the fitting pipes sometimes shake a little loose to the air filter.

Cheers,

Paul

·
Registered
871 Posts
Does that custom intake really make it much louder? I've also tried straight piping it but the droning sound from the engine covers the turbo sound at speed and is a bit obnoxious. Any solutions?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
mine will whistle at the top of its rev range just prior to shifting gears. I attribute the whistle to a bad or poorly fit seal on that u tube between the air filter and turbo. Just a guess but I have yet to actually investigate further.

·
Registered
424 Posts
ITguy
I did not put the cold air intake on there

Master7Chief
I have not driven that car much Just out of the Pick-n-Pull lot and up and down the street a few times
Hell I don't even know if that's the stock turbo or why it has a boost gauge on the steering column
I know on my Ram you can hear the turbo more now that it has the K&N air filter

·
Registered
44 Posts
These should be relatively quiet, most of the whistle noise from a turbocharger can either come from a blow-by valve or an inter cooler if equipped. I had a 2003 Vw passant 1.8 turbo it it was very quiet but holy cow it was fast!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts