Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83-380sl, 85-bmw635 (euro)
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I need some advice from the SL experts. I picked-up an 83 380SL early this year, and with a lot of help from this forum. I have been working on bring her back to some of her former glory. I have tore out the interior fixed a water leak, floor boards, rust in blower box, replaced heater core, A/C evaporator, refurbished instrument cluster…etc..etc. But now I found something that has stopped me in my track, and I need to know if it can be fixed safely or should I stop the show and start-up parting out the car much to the dismay of my wife. She really wants to keep her. The best way I came explain it rust on the right support for the stabilizer bar. Please see pics and advice.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
The best way I came explain it rust on the right support for the stabilizer bar. Please see pics and advice.
Considering everything else you've described on the car, I don't think this is a show stopper. Worst case scenario you find a junker and cut that piece out of it to graft into your car. That isn't structural - meaning it isn't part of the frame - although it does see stress every time you corner and it helps carry some of the load of the engine. But if you replace it within the next few months, it should be fine. Plenty of time to find a donor car.

Keep your wife happy, and just do a little transplant. Happy wife = happy life.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
I,ve seen a lot worse come back alive.

·
Registered
1985 500SL 130K (Horst)
4,442 Posts
If you have actually gone through the work of fixing a rusted blower box, than this is a piece of cake in comparison. Cut out the rust and weld in a piece.:tool:

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,232 Posts
It's an assessable non painted area. if its the only rust on thew car fix it.

·
Premium Member
Audi A8, Land Rover
276 Posts
Yes, absolutely fix it, don't give up!

·
Registered
83-380sl, 85-bmw635 (euro)
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice, (a little belated). Mama will be happy that the show will go on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts