Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 CLK350 Cab has one of the suspect engines that may have a cam shaft problem.
I have been getting trade in numbers that are not very good. One dealer offered $20,600, another offered me $22,000. This car is Black with tan interior, Navigation, heated seats, tires and brakes have 5K on them, no scrathes or dents. Paint looks great. When the car was new it had a sticker of $63,000 It is exactly 6 years old. Do these numbers sound right

I don't know what the odds of a cam shaft failure. I am not sure how hard it would be to get it covered by MB. And last, after they fix it what are the odds it would ever be the same. That fix looks pretty complicated.

·
Registered
2008 CLK550 Cab
402 Posts
You can't think about the original sticker price. Better to look at what asking prices are and deduct a bit from there for actual sale prices, then think that the dealer has to make a profit and lower it some more. My '08 550 had a sticker of about $75k, I bought it over a year and half ago with 28k miles for $34.8. So a year and half later I would not expect a trade in value above high $20s, and mine is a year newer than yours.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
Yidney is right - used car values have very little to do with the original sticker price. It's all about the demand for that vehicle. The prices are set by auctions in your area. Plentiful cars in low demand will bring bottom dollar, while more rare cars in high demand will command top dollar. The auction prices themselves won't really reflect the possible balance shaft failure on "your" car, but the prices do reflect the average cost of repairs for that model year. As more balance shafts fail and owners rack up more repair dollars on them, the auction prices go down, on average, to account for that. My advice is to keep $4K "on the table". Either save it for the repair, or, if you can sell it and get within $4K of what you "think it should be worth", then take the offer. Life is too short to worry about car problems!

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
You asked should it go? - without telling us: a) did you buy it new? b) current mileage. c) any signs of the 'wear' problem.

As I understand it, not ALL cars in the reported range suffer the problem. Just those with parts from a suspect supplier. So if you have reached, say 50k miles with no signs of a problem - you are probably going to be all right.

We have never been able to get reliable numbers of the percentage failures on this issue. Understandably, MB have kept this information very close to their chest.

If the car is running well - then I would keep it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This car was purchased 2 years ago. It was CPO ( show room condition ) Currently has 38700 miles. Runs fine.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
Keyhole, I'd not count on "50K miles with no problems" being safe with the balance shaft. Search the forums (plus MBWORLD) - you'll find several people who didn't have symptoms until after 80K miles or more. I don't know for a fact, but I suspect the defective parts were all forged "incorrectly" because the TSB uses a single range. If the parts came from different plants and/or suppliers, and they knew which one(s) had supplied defective parts, they would also know the discrete serial numbers with the defective parts. In that case the TSB would have either listed several ranges, or they would have made the list accessible.

The issue is, the material used is too soft and will fail prematurely. It may be 10K miles premature or 300K miles. It's a gamble. My advice is if you own an affected engine, then you need to decide to either roll the dice and drive it or sell it and give yourself peace of mind. If you are considering one to buy, avoid those int he affected range unless you get a really good deal that give you enough cash to cover the repair should it be needed.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
R - I concede you have made some valid points here. I had no idea that high mileages had been reached before this fault showed up. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts