Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have a 1986 420SEL, which also happens to be my first car. However, I have since acquired a 1994 Honda Accord Wagon, which is a stick shift. And as of just recently a 1988 560SL. Now I'm still in college, so owning three, if even two cars, isn't that great of an idea, so I'm selling one.

I'm keeping the SL as a "going out" car, and going to sell one of the others, keeping one as a daily driver.

The thing is, I really want to keep the SEL, but for all other reasons I should keep the Honda.

The main reason of course is the Honda never seems to run out of gas, where as the SEL just guzzles the hell out of it. Plus being a stick the Honda is fairly fun to drive.

I'm sure a lot of you have pride in your Mercedes, as do I, but try and look past that and tell me what car I should sell.

Is getting emotionally attached to really that common? A lot of good and bad memories in that car.

·
Slightly creased
16,582 Posts
Emotional attachment to these cars is not hard, it happens all the time.

Three cars for a student is a big ask.

Practically, you already know what you should decide, but this is the 126 forum so I am going to say ditch the Honda:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
IMO sell the SL, you can raise the most capital out of it and keep the Honda for a run around and the SEL for a good car. I'm at university too I know that it can be pretty costly to own these types of things thats why I'd suggest to only have one.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I agree, sell the SL of the three. If you sell the SEL, you'll spend the rest of your life looking for the same car to buy again...seriously.

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
SL best for "going out"

Girls love the SL.:bowdown:***

Especially the ones that would say: "If the shoe fits, wear it. And buy it in as many colors as you can.":p

***(Especially compared to a Honda wagon.)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
You can always pick up another Honda. If you bought it new, shame on you... you're wasting our time and decided you want a convertible and a 'family' car.... :D

Anyway, the SL will hold its value more... and the SEL and the Sl will hold their values more that the Honda... If it all comes down to economics, you're going to have a bit of a tough time deciding... even with gas prices being factored in.

You've got sunk cost everywhere... that being the case, I'd rather have a two Benz household... how about you?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Unfortunately college age people think they will live forever and/or are invincible. So what's your life worth? Would you rather be in a wreck in a tin-can or a tank? Selling the tin-can will generate enough money to make up for the lousy gas mileage. Remember all it takes is 1 SUV. Trust me - someday you will understand, just cross your fingers you won't have a wreck till then.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

DON"T SELL THE SEL, YOU will forever regret it, ditch the SL, I don't care one bit about the garbage "that girls like it".
WHO CARES IF THEY LIKE IT??? the best "going out" car is the SEL because you actually have room for your freinds and you can make out with your girlfreind after a date;).
more power too, come to think of it...:D

my advice? ditch the SL, keep the POS honda AND NO EXEPTIONS SEL!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: you will not regret it even a little, yes I know your pain, I too am a college student with almost no cash.

caspice??? or do I have to come a knockin in the middle of the night?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'd keep the 420sel. Here are my reasons:
-The gas price is totally worth the safety
-SEL's actually make good "going out" cars, lots of room and luxury
-You could sell the SL and buy another one when the time comes
(BTW there are about 60 sl's on ebay right now and about 10 w126's)
-You could buy another w126, but i think it would be hard to find one you love as much as the one you own now due to the "memories".
-A 420sel is just a good solid car to own. Safe, Plenty of power, perfect amount of luxury, lots of room, nice to drive, easy to work on, ect. Realistically we don't need our 560 and we don't drive it very much, but we have chosen not to sell it because it is such a great car. Sure it is a gas guzzler and somewhat expensive to own, but it is a Mercedes Benz S Class so that makes it worth it.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
This just happened - hyundai - honda - same diff - the guy in the truck survived.

Driver killed in I-44 wrong-way crash

01/27/2008

A man from Las Vegas, Nev., was killed in a wrong-way collision early Sunday his car was struck head-on by a pickup on Interstate 44 in Franklin County, the Missouri Highway Patrol reported.

William G. Keller, 51, of Las Vegas, was pronounced dead at the site of the accident, about a mile east of St. Clair. Troopers said he was eastbound in a 2007 Hyundai when it was struck by a 1997 Chevrolet pickup driven by Jason M. Brueggeman, 24, of Washington, Mo. Police said Brueggeman was driving west in the eastbound lanes. The crash happened about 1:05 a.m.

Brueggeman was seriously injured and was taken by helicopter to Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis.

The accident remained under investigation late Sunday.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I'd keep the 420sel. Here are my reasons:
-The gas price is totally worth the safety
-SEL's actually make good "going out" cars, lots of room and luxury
-You could sell the SL and buy another one when the time comes
(BTW there are about 60 sl's on ebay right now and about 10 w126's)
-You could buy another w126, but i think it would be hard to find one you love as much as the one you own now due to the "memories".
-A 420sel is just a good solid car to own. Safe, Plenty of power, perfect amount of luxury, lots of room, nice to drive, easy to work on, ect. Realistically we don't need our 560 and we don't drive it very much, but we have chosen not to sell it because it is such a great car. Sure it is a gas guzzler and somewhat expensive to own, but it is a Mercedes Benz S Class so that makes it worth it.
couldn't have said it any better:D:D:D:thumbsup:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know how great of a car the SEL is, but

I'm thinking of selling both the SEL and the Honda, and putting that money to a newer Mercedes, or maybe, and just a maybe an Audi.

As for a new car, I reckon I can get around 6-7k (USD) for both cars, plus I know some people who can get me a car from an auction, so I guess I could get something maybe around 10K with the 6/7 I get. (My 560SEL was 6K plus auctions fees making it 7k)

What should I be looking for?

Could I get like a newer Mercedes (by newer I mean a 1990 or newer) and if possible a manual and maybe a wagon.

Just throwing it out there, I don't really know prices on the "newer" Mercedes

·
Registered
756 Posts
i'd sell the SEL, the SL's are much more rare than most SEL's out here... and the SL is waaay lighter and more powerful. i'd also keep the honda too... they never seem to decrease past $1000

in saying that... i'm keeping my w126 and buying a miata as a DD^_^

i love my benz.. but i need a better tint job >_<

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I think Ive got it all figured out, and just for a bit of closure to this thread.

I'm going to sell the SEL (if I ever have the money, I'll go back to that car one day, but not right now) and I'm going to sell the Honda.

The Money from the two cars with go to a 2000ish Audi A4 Avant Quattro Manual.

As for the SL, I'll be holding on to it, at least long enough to get it out of my system.

If I sell all my Mercedes am I out of the group? Maybe I'll keep the SL.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
despite our advice you choose selling the SEL. *sighs*
I personally have driven an SL and really don't like it that much, in the SDL I've got more room all round (I'm 6"1), better gas mileage, nicer ride and build is better to some extent.

your funeral mate, you will really miss the SEL, good luck...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts