Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm "about" to buy a 2003 model 220 CDI sedan. Full service history and about 90000 miles on the clock. It was first registered in November 2002, and so may or may not be galvanized (from the sticky tread).
The car is in Norway, so proper rust protection is extremely important.

Any other issues I should be aware of?

This is the car, sorry it's all in Norwegian, but the pictures speak for themselves.

FINN bil - Norges største bilmarked. Søk etter biler, motorsykler eller bildeler.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have MB W124 -87, and I don't worry about the rust. I just live with it. :)

Seriously I'd think that you have no problem with that, as even if there was not corrosion protection added from the original factory one, four years would not have done anything to it.

To my understanding that yearmodel should anyhow be galvanised.

Only possible thing to spoil a car of that age would be a poorly repaired crash, beware.

·
Registered
2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
3,488 Posts
I don't know about W203's like you are considering, but W210's (and some W202's) have had rust issues. You should go into the W203 forum and ask, I'm sure you'll get more relevant responses from people who drive the cars themselves.

Do they use salt on the road in the winter in Norway? They do where I live in Canada, and salt always increases the potential of rust, especially if the car is parked in a warm garage. If the salt-soaked snow on your car melts, that is when the salt will start to cause rust. Cold garages are definitely better than warm ones.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
That car looks like it has been well taken care of to me, and the full service history is a strong plus in my book. jlomon asked a good question about what Norway uses on it's roads. Some places use calcium chloride which is kinder to cars than is sodium chloride. Either way, I don't think I would be worried about rust on that car (unless of course you find a lot of it somewhere).

One of the problem areas on the W210 was between the rubber door seals and the body, and MB issued a TSB telling the techs to apply a waxy compound of some sort to those areas. Try pulling them back a little bit to see if there is any rust evident there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,

As far as I know, the car has been used as an executive car for Telenor. That explains the "high" mileage.
It's not an import, and yes, I think it has been treated very well.

Yes, they use salt on the roads in southern Norway, thats why proper rust protection is so important.

It's a W211, and should have proper rust protection, but on the sticky "galvanising" tread above, they say the 2003 models produced in 2002 may not be galvanised. I guess there is no way to find out.

Anyway, I don't think it has a rust problem now, I'm more concerned with what might pop up later on. I have no idea what kind of warranty MB offer on the Norwegian models.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,425 Posts
jlomon said:
I don't know about W203's like you are considering, but W210's (and some W202's) have had rust issues. You should go into the W203 forum and ask, I'm sure you'll get more relevant responses from people who drive the cars themselves.

Do they use salt on the road in the winter in Norway? They do where I live in Canada, and salt always increases the potential of rust, especially if the car is parked in a warm garage. If the salt-soaked snow on your car melts, that is when the salt will start to cause rust. Cold garages are definitely better than warm ones.
From the photos I take it was actually a w211 MB.

The critical places I know of are the door frame, the paint below the rubber door seal may be thin. Another one the wheel arcs. Those of course are sensitive for sand etc. but the paint may also be a bit thin. I have not seen any car having these issues, probably not that common then.

One more thing is the bearer below the engine (don't know the correct name). It is hidden by the plastic plates. There is a service bulletin where some bolts are to be replaced.

I would consider these issues quite marginal.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,364 Posts
My wagon spend 5 years of its life in 4-seasons (Minneapolis) and I don't see any signs of corrosion on the body. The only difference I see is, that original CA cars have engine blocks shining even after a decade, when those driven on snow have the aluminum getting dull finish.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Anti-corrosion warranty

Omaniac said:
I have no idea what kind of warranty MB offer on the Norwegian models.
Neither do I, but that should be easy to find out by calling a Norwegian dealer, or maybe their equivalent of MBUSA. Some people have reported that certain dealers have repaired rust even after the MB warranty has expired as a good will gesture too.

·
Registered
C 240 02'
59 Posts
idk man..i dont think you should..but incase you dont live there, i dont suggest buying it, i never buy anything unless i see it first with my own eyes in person,you know?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I bought it. Did a quick test ride, couldn't find anything to complain about inside or out, full service history and 30 years rust warranty, so I feel pretty good about the whole deal.

I don't live in Norway, but plan to move there pretty soon (I'm Norwegian), so I needed a car. A 4 year old MB at 50% of the new car price.

I'm happy!

Thanks all!

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
Omaniac said:
Well, I bought it. Did a quick test ride, couldn't find anything to complain about inside or out, full service history and 30 years rust warranty, so I feel pretty good about the whole deal.

I don't live in Norway, but plan to move there pretty soon (I'm Norwegian), so I needed a car. A 4 year old MB at 50% of the new car price.

I'm happy!

Thanks all!
Congratulations on the deal, W211 CDI brother.

Post some mileage figures and you'll make people green of envy.

Enjoy the car.

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
Omaniac said:
Thanks, guys!

At the moment I have something else on my mind;

http://www.imd.ernet.in/section/satmet/img/cyclone.jpg

This little beauty is approaching the Omani (where I live) coastline, and I need to stock up on supplies and get my Harley parked somewhere safe.
Take care of your family and yourself, your MB and then think about the Harley and the rest. Tell us you all are OK when it is over.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Omaniac said:

I'm happy!

Thanks all!
Welcome back to Norway!
You can already start to have a look at these sites:
MBEntusiastklubb - Hovedsiden
Mercefreaken - for Mercedes-Benz entusiaster

·
Registered
E320, 2005
1 Posts
I WANT TO BUY A SECOND CAR WHICH IS A 'C' CLASS MB. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN THEY STARTED TO HOT DIP THE 'C' CLASS VEHICLES AGAINST RUST?

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
6,543 Posts
roughly 2003-4 it started in stages and not across them all till about late 04.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,957 Posts
There has always been corrosion protection of some level.

The current hot dip process started in the 80s and has been refined since then.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts